Norcross Ponds camping

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamoore63

Reaction score
Howdy, folks. I'm wondering if anyone has ever explored campsites in the area around Norcross Ponds. As near as I can tell from the AMC map, it falls outside of the Nancy Brook Scenic Area so I assume camping isn't banned altogether. However, in my one hike past there about eight years ago, I don't recall seeing anything other than one site with a no camping sign.

Thanks,
Keith

I know one camping spot.....

If you bang a right at the "no camping" sign (right before the beaver dam), that is the start of the Mt. Nancy "herd path". Go up that a couple hundred feet and you will come to a small clearing with two paths forking off the far end. The left fork is the continuation of the herd path. Take the right fork, and it will dead-end in a couple more hundred feet into a small clearing. There is room there for two tents, and there is a nice fire pit set up against a big boulder that throws some pretty good heat. All in all, I'd say it's about 500 ft from the nearest "official" trail.

That's really the only spot around there I know of that would be legal (I think).

Lizzy said:
If you bang a right at the "no camping" sign (right before the beaver dam), that is the start of the Mt. Nancy "herd path". Go up that a couple hundred feet and you will come to a small clearing with two paths forking off the far end. The left fork is the continuation of the herd path. Take the right fork, and it will dead-end in a couple more hundred feet into a small clearing. There is room there for two tents, and there is a nice fire pit set up against a big boulder that throws some pretty good heat. All in all, I'd say it's about 500 ft from the nearest "official" trail.

That's really the only spot around there I know of that would be legal (I think).
I'm familiar with that site and as far as I can tell it's perfectly legal.
Here are the rules ...and it's well outside the Nancy Pond Scenic Area.

There are other little sites, near the pond but far enough away to be legal. Well hidden (LNT), 'you just gotta poke around'

We camped at a hardened site less than 50 yards below Nancy Falls. Nice spot in the summer if you like taking a reaaalllly cold dip in the pool. Careful where you pitch your tent; there's a rivlet that runs through the site during heavy rains.