North Dome/Westkill

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Repeat

Reaction score
Mike joined me on our hike up North Dome, from trailhead to approx. 1/2 mil below the col (between North Dome and Westkill) we barebooted it to save our snowshoe crampons.. we then took a hard right and headed straight up North Dome...put our snowhoes on and had a ball doing some route finding up through the small cliff bands....once we hit the top, we made a straight line for the canister... located it pretty easily...no signs of previous trails... we had done this mtn two weeks earlier --- but there were no signs of the old trail. On our way down, we decided to do some butt-sliding on the steep sections and had a ball. This is an excellent way to do North Dome and while on this trip we came back down the same trail, on our last trip the group headed over to Sherrill and out to RT 42.

Mike headed back to the trailhead, forced to return to work. I headed up the west side of Westkill and enjoyed the solitude, the new snow and my dog Abbey…nice to know I was meeting some friends on the summit of Westkill and would have company on the way down. Larry and Justin had just stated down the west side after reaching the summit and we met within a few hundred yards from the top. Was looking forward to a nice sit-down on Bucks Ledge – but the wind was still blowing and I had been forced to wear my shell for most of the day, due to the wind and the perspiration had been trapped. We stopped in a nice spot out of the wind, feed Abbey the last of her food and I changed my top layers for the trip down. Nice day all around. I had anticipated trying to do Southwest Hunter – but the time was late and I’ll save that for another day.