Osceolas 3-13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaner

Reaction score
After a failed attempt to bag Wildcat A and D on Saturday(I just got D), Sunday was a real question mark until I got to the Greeley Pond trailhead about 10:30am.
I was kind of hoping the trail wasn't broken so I could head back to CT jump on the nordictrac and watch basketball from the cozy confines of my basement. Not having gotten Wildcat A and still needing Waumbek and Cabot next week, I was reconciling myself to bagging Wildcat A and maybe even the Osceolas early next winter.
The trailhead was plowed, and 3 cars were parked. The trail was nicely broken up to the Osceola trail junction. I soon passed 2 young guys, then a group of 3, and finally a couple who had turned around a little below East Osceola. They had bare booted the steep stretches as their snow shoes were sliding to much. I tried a few steps bare booting but found footing more slippery than with snowshoes.
The only question I had as I started breaking trail through 1-2feet of snow was if I could stay on trail. That to my delight was no problem. The trail was well blazed and easily visible the whole way. The worst stretch was the initial 100feet when the trail starts to climb very steeply toward Osceola. I basically had to swipe away all the snow by hand, about 3 feet, down to ice, crust, or rock underneath. I thought at that point that crampons would have been nice to have. As it was I pulled myself up by branches, trees, and a couple of rock holds after establishing some footing. From there on the footing was no problem, probably a little easier than the East Osceola ascent.
The East Osceola glissade was nice, but I must say the Owlshead glissade down the makeshift trail next to the slide 2 weeks ago was nicer, about 2x faster, 2x longer, with only a couple of standups.
A concluding prayer: Oh Lord God, may some kind group break trail between 19mile Brook and Wildcat A before 5:00am next Saturday. Perhaps the caretaker would be so kind. He could even tie a few ribbons on trees along the trail, say every 50feet or so. I ask this in the name of our God, the Creator, our Savior, and the Holy Spirit. Amen. I apologize for my poor attempt at inclusive language.