Owlhead LO, Rocky Peak Ridge, Giant from 9N, 8/24/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliff Reiter

Reaction score
This is a long loop that visits classic peaks from a quiet direction using a trailless crossover. Only appropriate for very experienced Adirondack hikers in low water weather.

Route: From trail head on 9N to Owlhead lookout, soon trailless crossover to the col between Bald and Rocky Peak Ridge, ascent RPR and onto Giant, descending to the col toward Green Mtn and return to 9N. Variant of GW07 in WFW. The crossover used is 1/2 new to me.

Trail conditions: trail to Owlhead lookout had just a bit of mud, despite overnight rain. Trailless crossover to RPR ridge went smoothly with no trouble finding the correct stream to ascend on the far side. Bit of thick brush almost at the end where raspberry hidden by maple seedlings sliced bare legs. Once on the trail in the col between Bald and RPR, the trail is slightly overgrown with damp vegetation wetting on the ascent at first; then just an occasional muddy patch. No blowdown to speak of. RPR lovely from this direction. Trail from RPR to Giant steep but easy going as usual. Descent from Giant to col toward Green is very steep and long but no problems. Heading back toward 9N the trail is very muddy but easily passable past the lean-to and then mostly easy going clear trail to High banks and return to Owlhead Lookout and 9N.

Gear: waterproof shoes, maps-compass (gps) etc esp for trailless part. Many would want pants for the brush.

Pics (1st part of):
http://ww2.lafayette.edu/~reiterc/hikes/adir/2009/08_e/index.html

Comments:
Saw just 8 people despite August hiking. Passed a house sized boulder on the trailless descent that I was tempted to climb, but I would have needed a ladder, but there was a ladder; I was following a deer path at that point (remind me not to do this hike in hunting season).

Last edited: