Parker/Evans bushwhack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Farrell

Reaction score
Name of mountain(s):parker and Evans
Name of trail(s): Spencer Smith
Hikers name: Farmer Bob
Hike date(s): 4/7/07
Weather and trail conditions: Upper 20’s to lower 30’s. Trail had unbroken snow on it from last Thursday’s snowstorm.
Total miles hiked: 6.2
Trip report: I got an early start and was on the trail by 5:50am. No one has been on the Spencer Smith Tr. after last Thursday’s snowstorm so I put on my snowshoes and headed up the trail.
Soon the trail was blocked by snow covered pine trees. It took a few minutes to get through it.
Heading up the trail, I saw a OR P300 mitt next to a tree and no footprints anywhere. Where did it come from?
I got up to the clearing before the summit and there was a beautiful sunrise.
I made it to the summit and I took a short break.
Bushwhacking down Parker Mountain was fun. The snow was pretty firm and I moved pretty quickly.
After a little while heading towards Evans, I saw another set of snowshoe tracks. They came from an old logging road and they didn’t go that far.
After I started climbing up Evans, I noticed my bearing was taking me away from Evans. When I got to a big clearing in the woods, I marked my spot with a trekking pole, and then I took a hard left, hoping I was heading in the right way for Evans. Pretty soon I was on a logging road and the area looked familiar to me, since I’ve been on Evans many times in the summer. Then I saw a car driving down Evans Mountain road so I knew I was going in the right direction.
Soon I was on Evans Mountain.
I had a great feeling of accomplishment and I was psyched. I took a lunch break and a bunch of pictures.
Soon I was heading back to Parker.
I followed my snowshoe tracks all the way back. I lost them a few times but backtracking and looking around I was able to find them.
After going back up Parker Mountain, I stripped a layer and headed back to my truck. I just followed my tracks again and I was down in no time.
It took me three tries but I made it. I’m going to double check my bearings to see if I was wrong or if the topo map was wrong.
To see pictures from my bushwhack, go to:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/558554060XBCbRL
What’s next, Blue Job to Mack Mountain bushwhack?