Pemi Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cruddy Toes

Reaction score
What a day! Doesn't get any better Cool, dry, clear- Yipppeee
Beautiful - I hope many of you were out.
Everybody I passed hiking today had a smile on their face and every hello was answered with cheer- or maybe they were smiling at me in my orange shoes and bright blue shorts and matching shirt

Thought it was time, after a few years to do a Pemi traverse- Counter-clockwise
Notes:
-6:30AM start- cool, clear, Webs acrosss the trail
- Someone left their blue tent setup in the middle of the Wilderness trail near the bridge - wonder what the fine is for that?
-Bondcliff Magnificant - few hikers about
-Passed two guys doing the loop going clockwise just west of Galehead- they were looking good!
-Galehead hut- yummy spice cake-AYC $1.00 - but I also left my favorite cap there
-Garfield Summit to Lafayette still seems so far, I thought they might be getting closer as Garfield and Galehead have in the past few years

Gear-I went light
-subpound LLBean cheapie daypack ($19.99)
-1 liter soda bottle ( dropped one - I think in the parking lot)
-2 small sandwiches
-2 Kitkats
-Some Hot jack cheese slices
-2 granola bars
-ventilated baseball cap- ooops not any more
-4 choc chip cookies (Shaws brand)
-Trader Joes JERKY- hmmmm
-wind jacket
-TP
-lightweight poly gloves
-brand new out of the box Montrail Masai ($29.99 ON SALE)
-Smart Wool sox- need I say more
-Patagucci Long Hauler shorts- absolutely the best in the world

Did the loop and drank just over 3 liter of water- it was great hiking weather- I was concerned about going all the way from Garfield Ridge 15 miles out with just 1 liter- but I had water left when I got back to the parking lot. I may change my name to Cruddy"The Camel"toes

Remembered back to my first backpack at about 13 up Osseo and all the way around to Guyot with a camp group- Wow did I suffer, and that was a 5 day trip. I wonder at what age, things will start going downhill for me, and I can relive the hiking pain of my youth?

Jogged the first and last 5 miles of the trip- hiked the rest
I bet I saw a few of you-
5:00PM finis

Time for a soak in the hottub
CT

Nice going Al
As always it's hear about one of us from the over 40 crowd doing amazing feats.

I wonder at what age, things will start going downhill for me, and I can relive the hiking pain of my youth?

Oh my...I think about this everytime I hike
Something tells me that at age 70 you will still be doing the Pemi loop but perhaps not without ibuprofen and some extra time ;)

Congrats on the traverse!!! I was on the Bonds this weekend. Don't think I saw you, but I saw two other guys running the pemi clockwise. Awesome feat, glad you had a successful journey.