Pemigewasset Valley Loop, 6/10-6/11/16

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailbagger

Reaction score
A 2-day hike to red-line the interior trails of the Pemigewasset Wilderness:

Friday, 6/10: Lincoln Woods Tr --> Franconia Brook Tr --> Lincoln Brook Tr -->13 Falls Campsite --> Twin Brook Tr --> Galehead Hut

Saturday, 6/11: Galehead Hut --> Garfield Ridge Tr --> Garfield Summit --> Franconia Brook Tr --> Lincoln Woods Tr

Trail Conditions: Clear sailing to the two dreaded water crossings on lower Lincoln Brook Trail. I had guessed wrong about water levels ... still very high or perhaps swollen due to recent rains. At the Franconia Brook crossing, it was either turn back or get wet, so I took off my boots and waded barefoot between the exposed rocks. The water is cold but not frigid. Had to repeat at the Lincoln Brook crossing. In fact, had to repeat a third time at the second Franconia Brook crossing at the northern end of the trail, just before reaching 13 Falls Tentsite. Even the smaller stream crossings often resulted in slightly wet boots.

Blowdowns not a problem. Trails generally in good shape for a wilderness area. However, the Lincoln Brook Trail just north of the Owl's Head path is very hard to follow for about a half mile. Very light treadway, no blazes or ribbons. I ended up at a large campsite surrounded by a ring of blowdowns, and then followed a sketchy path out of the ring and somehow stumbled onto solid trail that I apparently missed at some earlier point. From that point to 13 Falls the trail was easy to follow.

The very steep scramble on the Garfield Ridge Trail halfway up the east side of Mt. Garfield is currently a full-fledged waterfall. Very tricky to ascend or descend; guaranteed wet boots on slippery rock.

Galehead Hut: Very enjoyable stay. Arrived well after dinner hour and didn't expect any food, but the Croo practically insisted on heating something up for me. A bowl of corn chowder and some chocolate cake really took the chill off after the climb up through the cold, damp weather. Met some very nice folks, good nights' sleep, fantastic breakfast. Thanks Galehead Croo!