Pierce 12/27 First Winter 4k

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

HikerBob

As anyone else who was out in the mountains on Saturday can tell you - the weather was fantastic! Unbelievably blue skies, warm sun and great views.

Karen, a regular local hiking buddy of mine, wanted to get back to the White mountains after her first foray up the Air Line to Madison Hut (not to stay - a day hike) in September. I chose Pierce for several reasons. A round trip of about 6 miles suited our (my) pace and the Crawford Path was reputedly an easy climb. This would be my eighth 4k, first winter 4k and Karens first 4k of any description.

I have a tendancy to ramble on a bit with trip reports, so you can find my ramblings and pictures HERE

Bob

Hi Bob,

Nice report and pictures (as usual!). I hiked up to Pierce last weekend but you had the better weather, by far. I've attached my photo of the trail jct. sign near the summit for comparison.

I believe the peak you thought was Tripyramid is actually Chocorua.

I did get go up Avalon, Field and Willey yesterday - training for the FFF trip. What a beautiful day - hope we have as nice a day for our hike next weekend.

Mmm. I might have to do Pierce (and maybe Jackson) for my FFF warmup. Great report and excellent pictures as always, Bob. Thanks for sharing!

I also believe that's Chocorua. The rest of the ridge looks the right shape for the Sisters.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I must remember to take bearings in future. I'm starting to recognize some of the peaks from my travels but I have a lot of ground to cover yet.

Turnbill - yes,we lucked out with the weather. People we met coming off the summit were saying it was mostly cloudy on top. That being the case we timed our arrival just right.

Looking forward to the Flume trip next Sunday also. A reminder to all, this will be an informal group hike open to everyone. Check out the thread for details.

Bob

Bob, I loved you report and pics. The craford trail to pierce was my very first winter outing in Feb of 2001. Cold day, with the weather report from Mt Washington calling for freezing fog. We made it above tree line and in strong winds and declining day we turned back without reaching our goal at Ike. The hike hooked me. Trouble is I can't get out on weekends. The 7 hour round trip makes a day hike hard too.