Plateau 11/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmorgan

Reaction score
Long Island, NY Avatar: The REAL Dylan goe
Originally I was planning to do a traverse of Plateau and Sugarloaf from Notch Lake to Roaring Kills Road. Unable to find a second car, Mountainmeijin was kind enough to offer my friend Rich and me a ride from Roaring Kills Rd. over to Notch Lake to start our hike.

I had anticipated snow as I was keeping track of the weather all week and was looking forward to it. It was supposed to be Rich's 17th and 18th peaks towards his 3500 patch.

We started out from Notch Lake at 8:10 am and it began to snow again lightly as we started the first ascent. The snow at the base of Plateau was only a couple of inches deep of light powder, but it got deeper as we ascended, reaching about 5 inches at the summit.

I was slipping enough on the rocks hidden beneath the powder that I decided to put on my Stabilicers, which is when I discovered that I had somehow ended up with my wife's size small's in my pack and not my large pair. At least I was carrying crampons too. The crampons were overkill on the powder, but they did keep me from slipping and jarring my knees so much, and they came in very handy on the small rock scramble at the first overlook on top.

When we reached the east side and began to descend it got pretty hairy and we were both glad to have the crampons. The snow covered all the ledges and rocks and made it very precarious coming down. We took our time and picked our way along the rocks with care. I've only hiked Plateau once before and that was a year ago with no snow. I didn't remember the descent being so steep.

It took us 5 hours to reach the shelter in the col between Plateau and Sugarloaf where we had a quick lunch break and I inspected a pair of nasty blisters on the back of both my heels. We discussed whether or not to go on to Sugarloaf (Rich needed the peak, I didn't) or just take the Long Path out to Roaring Kill. Rich decided he'd rather just get going on out and skip Sugarloaf.

We finished up at the car at 4:30 pm, hit Brio's in Phonecia for a quick dinner, then drove back to Long Island. Sometimes I really hate that drive! I finally got home after dropping off Rich at 8:45 pm.

Long day, one peak, cool snow, and no injuries.

Pics here

Kevin

TMax said:
Sounds like a good day! It was going up that steep side of Plateau that I learned a very valuable lesson... One must sharpen her crampons from time to time;)! It can be a wicked climb in winter.

Yes, but I'd rather go up than down. For some reason looking down from a ledge or boulder a 4 foot drop seems like 20!

Kevin