Please advice me RE: ADKS

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J&A

Reaction score
I'm a young, confused college student (in DC) who really wants to be told that trail conditions are currently very poor in the Adirondacks. I'm afraid that doesn't seem to be the case. I had plans to go on Monday, but saw some disheartening trail reports (many bare spots, flowing water, no need for snowshoes, etc) and decided not to go. Now I'm completely regretting this, so, I have the option of heading up tomorrow, late night, probably alone. The best case scenario would be to depart March 31st (after my exams). But I'm wondering--how are the trails now? It looks like the ADKs are expecting highs in the 40s with snow over the ten-day and not an H in sight. Can I have a good time with my snowshoes and crampons in a week and a half? Or should I just throw my things in the trunk and go tomorrow? I know that this really reaks of hypotheticals and there's probably no definitive answer, but, how are the trails now? I'm looking at targets on the Great Range. Will 40s forecasted in Lake Placid translate to freezing temps in the Mts, guaranteeing a pretty nice solid base for the first day of April? Or should I just abandon hope and start looking forward to next winter?

We did Marcy on Saturday, attempted Big Slide on Sunday...conditions were fantastic. Trails were well worn with pretty good snow cover allowing for bare-booting down lower, snowshoes midway and crampons up high! Go and enjoy while you still can!

I did whiteface 2 Sundays ago. Very patchy for the first mile and a half. Then around mile 2 or so, there was a good 2 feet (min) of snow and it was significantly cooler than at the parking lot. It would of been hard to finish the last 3 miles without snowshoes.

Fish

This is the best word of advice I can give:

GO!

Bring all your gear. This is the time of year that you may need it all.

J&A said:
Will 40s forecasted in Lake Placid translate to freezing temps in the Mts, guaranteeing a pretty nice solid base for the first day of April? Or should I just abandon hope and start looking forward to next winter?

I would consider the "abandon hope, maybe next winter" option. Bring all your stuff, be flexible and go where conditions seem to point to great odds of success (just tell people first). Talk with the ranger, stop in at the LOJ, they are usually pretty good at posting conditions and handing out free advice.

As for temps, Hard to tell. It always seems a few degrees colder in the woods than in town, but not sure low 40's in town would translate to freezing in the woods, unless your talking at elevations.

I'll echo Neil, GO, have fun and let the peaks dictate your itinerary, not a hiking BB :D

Winter conditions

Just did LWJ, Haystack and Basin. It was 5 degrees howling wind and plenty of snow and ice to go around. It wouldn't be great for skiing in to JBL but some even tried that. Used MSR snowshoes most of the trips but crampons are necessary for the higher exposed summits. On Sunday snowed about 4-6 inches at least in the JB Valley. It's Winter up there!

Go

We climbed Couch and Panther Saturday 3/18. Trip report is posted. Conditions were excellent. Wish I was back up there as I type this! Plenty of great climbing still to be had. L