Poking Around on North Twin Trail & Mt Hale FireWarden Trail: 10-Apr-2008

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Date Hiked: 10-Apr-2008

Conditions: Not surprising, but the snowpack is melting. Snow bridges are either gone, or not to be trusted! Lots of standing, and running water. Also, the trails are developing the “balance beam” or “monorail” pattern of packed snow down the middle of the trail. The trails were slightly firm on the outbound trek, but some trail segments had turned into a flowing stream by the time I returned.

Special Equipment: Wore snowshoes for the entire trek. In some spots, pontoons would have come in handy!

Comments: Had no plans to go to either Mt. Hale or North Twin today. The goal was mainly to poke around on the lower segment of the North Twin Trail and the Mt. Hale Fire Warden Trail.

Parked at the 7 Dwarfs. Crossed the old wooden bridge just south of the 7 Dwarfs and then immediately hung a hard left on the trail (rather than following the snowmobile trail).

Took the “7 Dwarfs Trail” to the North Twin Trail and continued on it to the first crossing of the Little River. Had no intentions of crossing here, but if I did, it would have been a very difficult crossing (see PHOTO). From here, I took the bushwhack trail on the east side of the river to intersect the Fire Warden Trail. Went up the Fire Warden trail to about 3100 feet and then started my return back to 7 Dwarfs.

The North Twin Trail + “East Side Bushwhack Trail” + Fire Warden Trail all showed evidence of trekker-traffic, but not recent.

1HappyHiker