Q: Upper Works Trailhead?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackcountryExplorer

Reaction score
I am looking at a 2-3 day backpack starting from Upper Works to hit up Mts. Colden, Algonquin & Marcy in mid-June (10th or so). I want to show my children, who will accompany me, the mountains of my youthful adventures.

In '99 and '00 I was all over these peaks. But I moved to California soon after and have not been back since. Are there any procedural things I need to know about that could gum up the spontaneity of my plan (see below)? Back then, there was no need for advance permits and space was always available at trailheads -- even on weekends. So far in my search, I don't see a requirement for a permit. Not sure about a parking pass? Can you dispersed camp at relatively close to the trailhead?

The reason I ask is that I will potentially be flying in to EWR on Saturday the 10th in the late afternoon and driving to the trailhead. If I can camp there, we will go in the next morning. If not, I'd be willing to dispersed camp up to an hour from the trailhead. Again, I did stuff like this in the late 90s, when I last frequented this board. I am not sure if and how things have changed. I do see that bear cannisters are now required.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Photo is of me at Flowed Lands in August, 1999.

Attachments

• NY (13)-Edit.jpg
    NY (13)-Edit.jpg
    817.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Yes, In peak peaks you will require a bear canister. Trailhead parking tends to fill up so early start necessary. No permits unless you plan to hike out of AMR. June is still black fly season

I believe that camping is not permitted at trailheads in the Adirondacks.

https://www.adirondackalmanack.com/...ations-lacking-camping-disc-designations.html
That is true.

I know that there are a few spots that do have campsites that one can drive right to along the roadways, but do not know enough to know if there are any close to this particular trailhead.

Hopefully someone else can provide more info on that, it may also be worth checking the ADK Forum and ADK High Peaks forum, as I'm sure those types of sites and where they are have been mentioned there in the past.

Thanks to all for the info. I might delay my entry until Monday the 12th, as to have a better chance of securing a parking spot. That is really my only worry now.

You should have no problem parking at Upper Works on a Monday in early June. Permits or parking reservations are not available or required. Camping is not allowed at the trailhead. There are free roadside campsites available on a first come first serve basis throughout the Adirondacks. A popular spot is along Rt. 28N where it crosses the Boreas River. Another option is the NYSDEC Lake Harris Campground located in Newcomb. Many of the sites are on the water. As previously mentioned, new rules include Bear Cannisters for all wilderness camping in the High Peaks. Note that the Lake Colden area has frequent bear sightings. Fires are no longer allowed. In early June expect bad black fly conditions.

More info about the High Peaks can be found here;
https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/9164.html
Wilderness (dispersed) camping regulations;
https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/41282.html

You should have no problem parking at Upper Works on a Monday in early June. Permits or parking reservations are not available or required. Camping is not allowed at the trailhead. There are free roadside campsites available on a first come first serve basis throughout the Adirondacks. A popular spot is along Rt. 28N where it crosses the Boreas River. Another option is the NYSDEC Lake Harris Campground located in Newcomb. Many of the sites are on the water. As previously mentioned, new rules include Bear Cannisters for all wilderness camping in the High Peaks. Note that the Lake Colden area has frequent bear sightings. Fires are no longer allowed. In early June expect bad black fly conditions.

More info about the High Peaks can be found here;
https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/9164.html
Wilderness (dispersed) camping regulations;
https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/41282.html
Thank you !!!

I believe there are a few roadside spots along the Hudson on the way in to Upper Works to camp. I never had a problem with parking at Upper Works mid week even in mid summer. The new parking lot is pretty big and not quirky was busy as the Loj or places off 73. If you can get the black Garcia bear can. The DEC seems to go back and forth on what they allow but the Harcia is the default and always permitted. I heard rangers don’t always allow Bear Vaults. I suspect black flies will be bad at elevation more than in the low spots by then. Mosquitos will be active by then I’m sure. I live in Tupper Lake and the first black flies have emerged now.

I believe there are a few roadside spots along the Hudson on the way in to Upper Works to camp. I never had a problem with parking at Upper Works mid week even in mid summer. The new parking lot is pretty big and not quirky was busy as the Loj or places off 73. If you can get the black Garcia bear can. The DEC seems to go back and forth on what they allow but the Harcia is the default and always permitted. I heard rangers don’t always allow Bear Vaults. I suspect black flies will be bad at elevation more than in the low spots by then. Mosquitos will be active by then I’m sure. I live in Tupper Lake and the first black flies have emerged now.
Thanks for your input.

I still have an old cannister that should do the trick.

Bugs are just the cost of doing business in the woods. They are a nuisance but they are not deadly. The Sierra Nevada still have over 8 feet of snow in the high country, some places significantly more. It ain't all gonna melt in the next month. And when it does, dangerous stream crossings will be a problem well into July. Unfortunately for me, my children both have commitments in late July and August.

So we are looking East ...

P.S I seem to remember the WMNF not being as bad bug-wise as the ADKs and Maine. Maybe faulty memory, maybe wishful thinking?

Attachments

• 20230508_084828 (1).jpg
    20230508_084828 (1).jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 0

I would be careful about camping along Upper Works Road. There are no designated roadside campsites so any camping would need to comply with the 150 foot rule. The obvious roadside site, located north of the turnoff for the mine, is on private property.

There are a couple of designated tent sites along the Blue Ridge Road- one is where the Boreas River crosses that road.

There's 5 or 6 designated tent sites along the access road to the Deer Pond side of the Essex Chain, although this is a little bit out of the way.

BearVault brand canisters have always been technically allowed but their use is strongly discouraged due to repeat failures at the paws of multiple different bears. At some point in the future, the plan is to prohibit the use of BearVault canisters. If you show a BearVault canister at the information center at the Loj trailhead, they will rent you a Garcia canister for free.

6gkkLuK.png

There are also two designated tent sites along the trail into Flowed Lands/Lake Colden from Upper Works, so if you got to the trailhead not super late, you could just hike partway in. One is located maybe a quarter mile beyond the junction with the Calamity Cutoff trail (although note that you must ford Calamity Brook to get to the designated tent site- not usually a problem at normal summer water flow levels). The second site is maybe a quarter mile before you get to the suspension bridge where the trail itself crosses Calamity Brook.

If you have the ADKs High Peaks map, I believe both of these sites are accurately shown on that.

Last edited:
I agree, the bugs in NH are not as bad as the ADK and ME. If you do head to ADK, the 6/12 Monday start sounds good and your post here answers some of my questions I had on the private message I replied to a week late. The Boreas River site mentioned isn't too far from the trailhead. I've been in this area with my son's friends through scouts the last few years. Good luck on your decision and enjoy being back east.