Recommendations for a Child Carrier Pack?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MD Cuse

Reaction score
I recall some threads in the past on child carriers but searched all over for them without any luck.

I'm looking to get a child carrier over the winter. I have a six month old boy so he'll be a little over a year when I start using it next spring.

The latest Campmor catalogue has three Kelty carriers listed: Meadow, Base Camp, and Ridgeline. I think the local EMS carries another brand but I haven't been over there recently.

I hike primarily in the Adks and would be looking for something that not only would be able to carry a child but also provide some pack space as well.

I'm a big guy (6'5" 250 lbs) so I can handle pretty much anything on my back but also want something that will fit me well and be comfortable. I've seen packs listed between $80 - $150 but don't mind spending the $$ as long as I get a quality product.

Thanks for any info.

Mike

PS: I guess a second question would be what do folks feel is appropriate in terms of hikes to bring a one year old child on? For example I am thinking that hiking into Marcy Dam, Avalanche Lake, Flowed Lands, relatively level terrain hikes would be great. But what about going on some easy climbs such as Cascade, Mt Jo, Blue Mtn, Goodnow Mt, maybe even something like Phelps? I wouldn't take him up Saddleback, Cliff or anything like that, but think that some of the easier peaks would be ok.

I use a Kelty Explorer which is a couple of years old and I'm not sure if that model has been discontinued. The Kelty Backcountry looks similar to the Explorer.

Whichever pack you get some features to look for would be an auto-deploying kickstand for safety, reflective tape, pockets to carry snacks or water, a rain/sun hood is a must also.

Good luck and have fun hiking w/your son. Ive carried my 2 yr old son on a 4 hour, fairly strenuous hike and he came through with flying colors.

I have a 3 month old and got the Kelty Kids carrier. The current line they have are pretty much the same as far as the carrier itself goes. The difference between each is storage capicity. The cheapest model does not come with the rain hood and the most expensive comes with the rain hood, bottom pack as well as the backpack and it has a few other small fetures like water bottle holders.
from the research I have done it seems the Kelty are the best out there. As for the wich one will deped on if you want to use it for walks, long hikes arebaclpacking.

Try Tough Traveler!

I have two models of child carriers. I have the Kelty backcountry which I do not recommend. After 10 miles of hiking, I was left with bruises, and a sore back. I used that carrier for almost a year, before finally giving up on it and buying a superior pack.

I am now using the Tough Traveler "Filly." I love it. At only 4lb. This pack is almost 1/2 the weight of the Kelty. The shoulder pads and waist strap are soft, and the pack is well made. I have taken my 15 month old son up two 4Kers in VT with it. The Filly also comes with a built-in cargo compartment, which is located below where the child sits. I find this to be far superior to the kelty, which puts the cargo far back behind you, effectively increasing the weight of whatever you put in there. My son seems more comfortable in the new pack, and it has nice padding on the sides, so that his head does not slouch over when he sleeps. I cannot say enough good things about this pack. Oh, and as an added bonus, the pack is made in the USA, in NY. Four STARS. www.toughtraveler.com

-percious

To answer your second question.

All the hikes you have listed seem reasonable. It would be a good idea to work your son into longer and longer hikes. I started my son off at 6 weeks, with about 1 1/2 hours of hiking, using the "pouch" kind of carrier. (Kelty Kangaroo). As things progressed I was able to take him on longer and more streneous hikes. My most difficult was probably Mount Moosilauke in NH, as a 10 mile loop. Moose is great, because you can let your son run/crawl around at the grassy summit for a bit. Remember, kids need a break from the pack too.

One other suggestion. Keep your kid warm. I find that when my son gets cold, he gets real whiny. Other then that, he loves the pack. If you put a pair of your wool socks on their hands and feet, it goes a long way. It does look funny, but I haven't found anything else that my son wont take off. (booties and whatnot) I have taken my son with me snowshoing, in the snow when it was about 20 degrees out, (it was only a 3 mile hike). He was content in his balaclava, looking around at the local winter-wonderland.
Hope you and your son have a great time together.

-percious

What about . . .

Hey,

I have a going on 3 month old myself. He still rides up front in the Snugli, but will make the transition to my back at some point surely.

In contrast to the heavy, framed Kelty type carriers, what do people think of soft carriers like the Deuter KangaKid?

I think I remember reading some very favorable reviews (albeit on Amazon, so a differerent audience). I find its relatively low weight and the fact that it is a decent backpack to be appealing. No kickstand here. Perhaps it would be most useful at the age when he walks a little, then rides a little, then walks a little, etc.

We just got a Kelty Ridgeline a few months ago and we like it. Our son is 18 months and loves riding in it.
It has a seperate zip off pack for the little one if they want to walk some or for short jaunts around camp. The padding is good enough and it is very adjustable. There are also many options for what you can add on to the pack, as far as sun hood and straps for the feet and a few others.
As far as camping, I think a 1 year old is fine for short trips into the woods for an overnight. I've read alot on it and it seems that if you have the supplies you should go for it.