Redfield...Our 46th High Peak...warning: Memory Crossing

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hikerdad

Reaction score
The trip was a big question mark from the get go. The forecast for Friday the 25th was iffy....accuweather said a little rain in the morning...the weather channel said showers all afternoon...there was a lot going on at work...but I finally said the heck with it. The kids were off of school finally and my oldest son didn't have work that day so off we went. We had tried Redfield in April but tuned back due to deep snow and a trail that was buried and indistinguishable. We left Binghamton at about 8:30 after my oldest was done at the grocery store where he works part time. We drove as far as Lake George and stayed at the Ramada there ($49 with a coupon...not bad). We were at the trail head at Upper Works at about 8:00 and ran into the guys trying MacNaughton (see their trip report). I was excited to try this final mountain but was not willing to count my chikens yet. We made good time, we were at Uphll Brook LT at a little after 11:00. With me were my sons, Brian, age 19: Tim, age 16 and daughter Colleen, age 14. It was the boys and mine 46th peak and Colleen's 33rd. We ate and rested at the LT and started out at about 11:30. The path was well marked and we made it to the stream and then followed the stream and occassional cairn and flagging. A couple of times the trail was just a bit hard to find (do we stay in the stream or try the side of the stream?) but we really had no problems (unlike coming down Lillian Brook that time coming off Hough!). After a steady but surprisingly not very strenuous climb (maybe the adrenaline was kicking in without me realizing it) of about 1 1/2 hour we were there at the top. I saw the sign and realized we had done it. After 6 years, after many adventures and misadventures we had done it...#46. I had always wondered what I'd feel and all I can say was I was content. The kids were talking and fooling around, just being kids and I drank it all in and I loved it. This was ours together. I had always thought I would want to sit and just be alone but what I really wanted was to be with the kids so we ate and remembered all the hikes and looked out at all our friends out here...Allen, Gray, Marcy, Skylight, Colden, etc. Then it...snowed. It was maybe 50ish on the ground but sure enough down came some kind of frozen precipitation...what a way to finish....snow in NY on June 25th....I even took a picture of the snow to prove to people I wasn't making it up. We ate and enjoyed the view and each other and the started down about 2:00. On the way down as the kids talked about school, movies, video games, messing around at school (I learn more eavesdropping on their conversations on these hikes than I do ASKING what's going on) my memories flooded back. ..Starting out on Wright's Peak back in 1998 when the boys seemd so small... Our first overnight hike to Slant Rock and Mount Marcy when at JBL I figured sure we can lug these packs up Orebed Creek and over Saddleback and Basin and down this little trail called the Shorey Short-cut...what an ordeal it was but what great memories now (and what a learning experience)... Our first hike to Uphill Brook LT for a try at Cliff and Redfield back in 2000 when I had never heard of Hurricane Floyd hitting the ADK's...what stupendous blowdown...needless to say we didn't make Cliff and didn't even try Redfield... The overnighter to the Dixes when we dropped our gear at the Lillian Brook LT and tried Dix and Hough with NO gear (to travel light of course, by now I was an old mountain man...I didn't need no stinking gear!)...nothing like trying the Lillian Brook bail out path (I use the term very loosely) at about 5:30 in the afternoon in 90 degree heat...loosing the path, blundering in the blowdown with three very worried kids following YOU....finally just plowing down through the middle of the brook in thigh deep water at times and finally popping out at the LT at about 8:00 and being VERY glad and relieved... Or the trip to the Sewards where Tim said as we were leaving "You know this is the first trip where everything when according to plan"...what?? were you doubting your old man's mountain abilities??? I looked at the boys now...both taller than me...they wait for me now on the trail. Colleen, gamely following along through so many misadventures without a complaint...how many people get the trailless peaks done first before doing the stars like Marcy, Gothics, Haystack, Basin, etc like she's done? I remember taking her to pee for the first time in the woods and basically gettng MY feet peed on. Watching them I felt old but strangely content and happy as I tought about how they had grown while we (really, I) had pursued this goal. You know for kids who can fight over the dumbest things while at home I think I can count the fights and bickerings while on the trail (under often less than ideal conditions) on one hand. My mind raced and the memories flooded over me as I trudged along. We were back to the LT at about 3:00 and leisurely made our way to Colden Dam and the trail head. We were back at the car at about 6:30. I realize this is a long (and not very informative trip report) but I just had to expound to people who can relate and appreciate the joy this strange hobby of ours can bring. So Mavs, keep hiking with those kids...you'll never regret it. Of course I'm not done...just getting started....Now of course I have to finish Colleen's 46...then there's NH and of course Katahdin and Vermont...Then do the SDK's in winter! My wife (bless her soul) will love that!...so enough is enough, you're probably bored and I'm tired of typing...I could go on forever...thanks for listening....see you in the hills.

Pat Connors (AKA Hikerdad)

Pat, that report was more informative than any trail condition report. It gets to the core of why we all do these sometimes brutal hikes. It's the experiences and shared experiences that life is all about!

Thanks for sharing yours.

Pat:

A big CONGRATS!!! Redfield is a real nice hike and even better since you didn't have to do Cliff as well! It was nice meeting you at the Upper Works trailhead. Is MacNaughton next??? As my report indicates, it really wasn't that bad. I can't believe it snowed. We had a little rain while coming off MacNaughton, but only for about 10 minutes.

The weather was a big question mark for us as well. I'm glad we did it, because it turned out to be a decent day with some good views.

Congrats again!

Chris Sausville #5237*

Last edited:
Wow.............

Priceless, absolutely priceless.........Congratulations to you all.

I second Silverback, that may have been the best “trail report” I’ve ever read. How incredibly lucky for you and your kids to have started and completed this journey TOGETHER.

Pat,

I loved the report!!! Congratulations to you and your sons. We look forward to your report about Colleen finishing her 46.

Mark

Hikerdad, Congratulations! I finshed on Redfield last year and had that same content feeling.

My 11 year old son has hiked 13 mountains to date and similar to your daughter, he started on the good ones - the "trailless" peaks. I am also looking forward to being with him as he completes his 46. For me, it will be like doing some of the mountains for the first time since many were hiked 25 years ago.

Welcome to the 46ers!