Reminder - NH Bike Weeks starts tomorrow

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

In Rembrance , July 2024
Staff member
Reaction score
If it's a good weather forecast, lots of motorcycles on the roads predominantly east of I 93 but there are many large tours that run around the highways in the whites. Activity ramps up this weekend and during the week with various special events. The auto road no longer does motorcycle days. If you are offended by loud exhausts, its best avoid summits near major highways. Franconia Notch and the west side of Mt Washington seem to be impacted the most. Accommodations usually get booked up in the area as its the unofficial start of the summer tourist season.

My general observation is that the motorcycle crowd rarely are hikers or planning to hike when out on the bike so other than interactions on the roads or places that requires a short walk like Sabbaday Falls or the Basin it seems be mostly a mutually exclusive activity. Post hike it can be an issue, if someone is looking to get a beer or a bite to eat. Lot to be said for bringing a cooler and tailgating.

And just fyi that I just learned that the BMW riders association will be having an annual rally weekend in Fryeburg over Labor Day. Presumably camping at the fairgrounds. I was told it’s a pretty large gathering.

https://bmwra.org/rally24/
The BMW motorcycle crowd is definitely a different crowd than the typical bike week crowd. Still not a lot of cross over to the hiking crowd, but some BMW owners take the self-sufficiency role more seriously and campout with what they can carry on the bike. Taking a quick look at the BMW rally website, they have free tent camping spots for all registrants plus options for RVs. The tough part with the BMW event is that its scheduled for Labor Day weekend when the area is maxed out on tourists. My guess is the Maine side of the national forest will get a lot of traffic.

I see a lot of folks heading to bike week trailering their bikes into the area.

Last edited:
The BMW motorcycle crowd is definitely a different crowd than the typical bike week crowd. Still not a lot of cross over to the hiking crowd, but some BMW owners take the self-sufficiency role more seriously and campout with what they can carry on the bike. Taking a quick look at the BMW rally website, they have free tent camping spots for all registrants plus options for RVs. The tough part with the BMW event is that its scheduled for Labor Day weekend when the area is maxed out on tourists. My guess is the Maine side of the national forest will get a lot of traffic.

I see a lot of folks heading to bike week trailering their bikes into the area.

I can only say I started bike camping AFTER around three decades of multi week camping trips mostly in the Whites and Dacks. I just rode to Alaska and back (11000 miles) last year. I carried all my camping gear as I have on all the 2 week trips I made when I first started motorcycle camping several years ago going into northern Canada (James Bay twice, Labrador, The North Road, Trans Labrador Highway, Newfoundland etc). I didn't camp as often on the Alaska trip as I usually did but I did camp and did some hikes as well. I do ride a smaller BMW F700gs, but that is because it suited the kind of gravel and dirt roads I rode as well as having enough horsepower to carry me at highway speeds with all the gear. For me it was and is the perfect bike. And I hate bike week. Never been to Datona or Sturgis or any of the other Bike events. I don't ride to "meet people", I'm usually biking like I am camping, Solo to get away from people, but I have ridden with some friends rarely. I also ride like I camp. I pass through with the intention that no-one even knows I have gone through.

FWIW

Attachments

• BuffaloAndMe.jpg
    BuffaloAndMe.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Grizzly.jpg
    Grizzly.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Keith - where did you see the buffalo? Yellowstone area? Black Hills?

I am going to say about an hour south of Liard River Hot Springs Provincial Park on the Alaska highway in BC. I wish I could post the video. That was a screenshot but the video is too long to upload.