right of way: uphill or down?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who should have the right of way?

• Hikers proceeding uphill

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • Hikers proceeding downhill

Votes: 38 25.2%
  • Whoever has an axe

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • I always yield anyway

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • Me!

Votes: 10 6.6%

• Total voters
Yo, Stan! That wasn't a political statement. More like a statement of "guiding personal philosophy," if you get what I mean. ;)

G.

I always assume that the personal moving uphill should yield b/c 1) it is easier for the uphill hiker to see/find a more adequate place to step aside since the trail is 'moving slower' for them, 2) they are more likely to desire a quick rest anyhow, and 3) it is less straining on the uphill hiker's knees to stop for a bit.
Of course, if the downhiller steps aside well in advance, then I will hike uphill past them, thanking them en route--as well as several other mitigating circumstances.
I don't think that larger groups should have an automatic right-of-way. If anything, quite the opposite, as a single hiker can move more quickly and adeptly around them. Especially when a single is trying to pass them going the same direction!

I usually like to stop and chat with the group that I am passing so we both yield. But if I run into a group that doesn't look too friendly I will usually stop if they don't first. Good question though, I never really thought about it.

whoever looks like they are suffering less. Good excuse for a 10 second rest

My book tells me that those working against gravity get the right of way. I suppose it is all personal preference. I have stopped going uphill for downward hikers to pass.....

I apply the same rules to yielding on the trail that I learned driving in New York City. If you're bigger, meaner, and in more of a hurry I yield to you. If you're trying to steal my parking space (or view) I knock you off the trail when your looking the other way. :p

It's kind of like a four way stop sign when two people stop at the same time. Personality dictates. I usually nod and step to the side, especially for the lovely ladies :cool:

I usually yeild to whoever is coming up or down the trail. Most of the time, it's just a good reason to stop and take a breather. Also, if the other hikers are nice enough, I'll stop and chat for a minute.