Santanoni New/Old Trail - Official Name

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom Rankin said:
I was given a map of the parcel acquired by OSI. I see now why we used to have to walk around Bradley Pond to get to Panther Brook. But maybe that will change as well!
I think that the original trail up went before Bradley Pond back in the day when my mother didn't have kids.
:)

Anyone using this trail this winter?

At the moment, is the standard route to Santanoni (et al.) still by the trail in use a year ago (as opposed to the New/Old/Santanoni Trail)? Is the direct route more/less difficult for winter ascent?

Is there a topo screen showing the New/Old route?

Also, is the approach road nicely skiable at this time of year, or chewed up & cruddy?

Heading up next Friday morning.

Anybody planning to go up right before us and break out a trail?

Thanks....

The skiing will be enjoyable only to the very first bridge, there are lots of "holes" and "sticky snow" further.

The 1890's Tahawus Club route is very steep but has the advantage of being in the forest, as it leads directly to the summit ridge, a few hundred yards to the right of the true summit of Santanoni. Still itS' often easier to descend than climb as usually that slope receives tons of snow, this year we are helped by the hard base from the two weeks ago hours of freezing rain above 3000. The past weeks tracks may have been erased by the wind once you will reach the perpendicular ridge sitting above 4000', nevertheless if the visibility is good you will have no trouble finding the direct route to the summit ridge.

A trail has been broken on a more direct course to Santanoni but it doesn't follow the new summer herd exactly but it is a herd path and you never follow them exactly in winter anyway. The lower ridge before the final summit ridge is very wind swept and the trail will be washed away in most places. The trail that was broken between Santa and Times Square was a total bushwhack and took two normally very strong hikers I know nearly 2 hours to cover. The road sees only snowmobile and hiker traffic and should be very easy to ski. I'd ski to at least the first bridge if I chose to start on skis.

If your going in before the weekend expect nothing and be prepared to do it all yourself. Then anything you find to help will just speed you up and put a smile on your face. ;) :D

Looks like the Spruce beat me as I was writing but mines a little different so I'll leave it too. :)

Last edited:
--M. said:
At the moment, is the standard route to Santanoni (et al.) still by the trail in use a year ago (as opposed to the New/Old/Santanoni Trail)? Is the direct route more/less difficult for winter ascent?

Is there a topo screen showing the New/Old route?

Also, is the approach road nicely skiable at this time of year, or chewed up & cruddy?

Heading up next Friday morning.

Anybody planning to go up right before us and break out a trail?

Thanks....

The new/old trail. According to my notes the Bradley Pond Trail reaches the cascades in Santanoni Brook at 3.35 miles from the start of the trail. In a short distance beyond the cascades, (.15 mi) you reach the old Santanoni Trail. That route was appx 2 miles. It reached the summit ridge about 75 yards north of the summit. You will know you missed this junction if you reach the height of land on the Bradley Pond Trail. The height of land which is .14 beyond the old trail is in fact the location where the abandoned Panther Trail began. The herd path around Bradley Pond joins the old Panther trail higher up using the upper portion to attain the ridge.

Good stuff, thanks.

It seems the smart play (other than using previously laid tracks) is to ascend the standard route, considering the New/Old/Santanoni route for possible descent.

Close enough now to start watching the weather and snowpack....