Santanoni: trail conditions 7/20/05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardrain

Reaction score
we are hiking the Santanonis this weekend. has anyone been up there lately?

We are wondering about the trail conditions and the extent of mud this season, around Bradley Pond and Couch swamp.
muddy? ankle deep? Knee deep?

thanks.

I'm dayhiking them on Saturday or Sunday (depending on which has the more promising forecast), so I'd be interested in recent conditions as well. I'm hoping that the recent semi-drought has alleviated the worst of the reputed mud, but the ADK's have probably received more rain than has central NY.

Last edited:
Heading in tomorrow, so I'll have an update for anyone interested next week.

Maybe I'll meet you there, hardrain! I'll be the clueless guy holding Joel's famous Times Square map upside down. :p

I was there yesterday.more muddy than ussual,I've been through there 5 times.looked like it had rained the night before as water was running everywhere.still very doable all trails very clear.I did couch first then sant then panther.I pumped 3 x 32oz.water 3/4 way up ridge where water trickles between big white boulders.do stop on way down to clean mud off in very nice pools on panther brook.bugs not bad 2 black fly bites,a few horse flys on road out.total trip 8.5 hours most take 10-12 hours.

back and forth up to TS?

grasshopper:

we are considering hiking to Couch, then returning for the night to our campsite down on the Panther Brook, and hiking back up to Panther and Santanoni the following day.
does this make any sense?

There is a very nice campsite just past the cliffs.After the cliffs you drop down and cross a small gully (no water) you will come to a nice open spot.about 150 ft. from trail there is a small fire ring and level area to set up tent.Panther brook is 5-10 min. away for water.This is amuch better camp option than bradley leanto plus cuts off considerable time for climb.very easy even with full pack I cut all blowdown yesterday.I would hike in set up camp and then go for all 3 the next day spend second night then hike out.I did this hike with my son when he was 8-9 and it took us 10 hours round trip from bradley leanto.

Well, I did the Santas yesterday and I was surprised by the lack of mud on the Bradley Pond Trail or, to perhaps put it more accurately, by the ease of avoidablility of said mud. I brought gaiters along (for the first time ever) but never came close to needing them. It had even rained the evening before - I got drenched from all the water on the close conifers on the way out to Couchie.

I actually thought the mud was more difficult to avoid just below the summit of Panther and just west of Times Square. I've had many a muddier ADK hike, though.

Bugs weren't bothering me at all, either...all in all a beautiful Saturday morning on the Santa Range. :cool:

Gandalf said:
Well, I did the Santas yesterday and I was surprised by the lack of mud on the Bradley Pond Trail or, to perhaps put it more accurately, by the ease of avoidablility of said mud. I brought gaiters along (for the first time ever) but never came close to needing them. It had even rained the evening before - I got drenched from all the water on the close conifers on the way out to Couchie.

I actually thought the mud was more difficult to avoid just below the summit of Panther and just west of Times Square. I've had many a muddier ADK hike, though.

Bugs weren't bothering me at all, either...all in all a beautiful Saturday morning on the Santa Range. :cool:

Thinking about it, by heading directly up the herd path and not going to the lean-to, you avoid most of the deep stuff.

Great thread... I logged on a few days ago with the intention of asking about Santas and there, just a few posts down from the top, was this thread!

Anyway, (1) What is "Joel's map of Times Square" (I know what Times Square is, but how do I obtain Joel's map? and (2) How is the herd path located if one enters from the parking area on the road to Tahawus (the Bradley Pond trail)?

I have McMartin's High Peaks book but my copy is at least a decade old and I've gotten into trouble before by trying to follow its pre-blowdown bushwhack descriptions.

Anyone planning the three Santa peaks soon?
--W49

werdigo49 said:
Great thread... I logged on a few days ago with the intention of asking about Santas and there, just a few posts down from the top, was this thread!

Anyway, (1) What is "Joel's map of Times Square" (I know what Times Square is, but how do I obtain Joel's map? and (2) How is the herd path located if one enters from the parking area on the road to Tahawus (the Bradley Pond trail)?

I have McMartin's High Peaks book but my copy is at least a decade old and I've gotten into trouble before by trying to follow its pre-blowdown bushwhack descriptions.

Anyone planning the three Santa peaks soon?
--W49

The "Joel's map" refers to the map provided on the Adirondack Journey website:
http://www.adirondackjourney.com/Santanoni_Range.htm
Scroll down and click on the thumbnail titled "TIMES SQUARE MAP"

The herd path is off of the Bradley Pond trail, which is has a parking area off to the left from Upper Works Road (before the furnace). This is a different parking area than the main one at the end of the road. The Adirondack Journey site should help you locate the herd path.