Seymour - 2/25/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikethe115

Reaction score
Lock Haven, PA; Avatar: the twins on Twin with onl
When I heard the summer trail head was still open, I just couldn't resist taking advantage of this to get Seymour. I remember all too well that extra 6 miles of road walk last year for the rest of the Sewards. However, that was an easier day.

I started out about 7:45 AM with a cloudy day. By the time I reached the Blueberry lean-to the snow was falling pretty steadily. There was a group of kids from St. Lawrence University staying there with the plan to do Seward and then Seymour on Sunday. I went on to Ward Brook lean-to thinking about how crazy I was to be out there by myself with the weather. I took a break, put on the gortex pants and got ready to start the ascent. I had made it this far, I just didn't want to turn around. Even with the snow, I could still see tracks from someone who had done Seymour the day before. Once the trail started getting real steep, I again considered turning around. I started feeling a little sick so I stopped for some food and drink. I felt better so I decided to push on. The closer I got to the top, the less trail I could see. There were some drifts that made a few sections difficult, but after taking my time to look around I could find traces of the path. When I finally reached the tree with the sign and disc on it, I wanted to kiss it! I was looking forward to some sliding on the way down.

After descending for about 10 minutes or so, I ran into the group of college kids who had changed their minds and decided to do Seymour instead. I had lots of fun sliding down the mountain and certainly got down a LOT faster than I did going up! However, with the sliding, my crampons came off the back of my pack which I hadn't realized. I stopped again at Ward Brook lean-to to refuel, change mitts and put on an extra layer for the walk out. By now, the tracks were filling in with quite a bit of snow. I knew that I was likely to be walking out in the dark so I put my headlamp in my pocket to make it easy to get at when I needed it.

It seemed like more effort going out. I was thinking I must be really tired. Then I realized I was breaking trail in about 6 inches of powder. Not a difficult trail, but extra work for the way out after a long day. The snow covered the stream crossings so it was a bit tricky. When it was getting a little low on light, I went through some ice...not even realizing there was a stream crossing. Luckily, only my snowshoes got wet. I knocked the ice off and went on my way. I got to the junction where I was informed I had 1.2 miles left when it was dark enough to turn on my headlamp. I was glad to see the sign.

When I was just about to my car, a woman walked up behind me. She was the outings club leader from the group of college kids. She told me one of her students had my crampons and she would mail them to me. How great is that! Now I had to worry about getting the car out. Lucky for me, she was driving a big van used for hauling the kids. She led the way out and more or less plowed the way for me. It was great!!

It was a difficult day, but very satisfying. I went back to Saranac Lake where my son and his family now live (my turn to take advantage of him!!!) and got to spend time with my 17 month old granddaughter. What a great weekend.

Sounds like a very satisfying trip, Dawn. Always fun to read a nice detailed TR. Glad to hear your crampons were recovered. The part about thinking you were really tired and then realized there was new trail to break was amusing. Probably more amusing to read than experience!

Matt

Way to go Dawn! ;) There's nothing like that feeling of exhaustion after a day of good hiking. I know that little voice that tries to talk one into thinking they "don't have what it takes" or simply that they can't do a given hike and should turn around. I fight it all the time and am so satisfied when I win! It's part of the lure of solo hiking and solo accomplishments :D :D . What a great bit of luck that you will be getting your crampons back :) .