Skylight Pond with my Son and Some friends

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

percious

Reaction score
Saturday morning Ben and Kristina arrived promptly at my house in East Granby, where we were to depart from shortly. I was just getting out of bed when they arrived.

We sped through Mass, noticing the frequent construction
that had been noted on the board. Many places on I-91 have closed shoulders which should in theory not slow traffic.

We stopped once for a break in a Vermont Welcome center off
Interstate 89. It was a pleasant visitor center, and the
hills were showing their colors off nicely.

Soon we arrived at the Skylight Pond trailhead and saddled up.
Colden and I departed a tad early as Ben and Kristina finished their packing. The trail started very moderately, and we waved through swarms of flying ants as Colden's legs became adjusted to the hiking terrain. We crossed a bridge over a babbling brook, and our companions caught us up before we reached the national forest sign.

We thought we were already half-way at this point, and continued on happily and hungrily. We stopped for a bit to grab a bite around noon. I wasn't wearing a watch...

Colden sped up the trail fueld by Peanut Butter, Jelly, and a few M and Ms. He began signing "Old MacDonald" and we all chimed in making fun animal songs. This was the first time he had instigated one of our hiking songs, usually a device I use to get him moving and not thinking about tired legs. Perhaps he was getting tired?

Soon we arrived at "the switchbacks"- a long series of cutbacks which make the trail much much longer than the map showed. I reminised about the time Ben and I spent in Colorado climbing the many switchbacks up "the sisters". Colden needed a break.

We stopped for a few more M+Ms and a ranger stopped by and told us we were more than half way. That was good news, but I thought we were much further along... darn switchies. Colden Campioned on, acting like a choo choo or just talking gibberish, which I am annoyed by now, but will probably miss once he grows out of it.

The trail leveled out, and we could smell victory, as well as a forest of pines. Colden asked for a break, but we pushed him on a bit. We reached the intersection, and soon an evicted shelter with only 1 person's gear. We flopped down and all took a nap.

I awoke and went to filter water. On my return I encountered a few hikers and asked them if they wouldn't mind keeping it down so Colden could rest. They obliged, and a few more people arrived. Everyone was being totally great about being quiet. Ben and Kristina were also happily slumbering.

I got a pot of water boiling, distributed some water before creating our dinner of chicken and dumplings. Colden forced down a few spoonfulls as a 3 year old being forced to eat something does. The remaining three of us managed to eat almost all of the 4 liter glut of chicken and dumplings. It was yummy!

After dinner the moon rose over the pond. It was a full harvest moon, and it reflected brilliantly on the placid water. It was beautiful to see. Soon we took off for a hike over to the nearest sunset lookout spot. The sky was already a deep red, the spot having descended much earlier. The profile of the Adirondacks stood out across the colorful sky. It was beautifully clear and the stars began to spot the sky.

We brought Colden back to the shelter for bed. He asked me to tell him some stories and I oblidged him with "Jack and the Beanstock", and "Johnny, the swamp and the alligator". Fought sleep a little before finally succuming. We all chatted with our bunk mates: A volunteer caretaker, a kind mother of two with her two dogs, and a father of 3. We traded adventures, sharing stories of our own.

A party of 20-somethings came in later and caused a ruckuss on the top bunk before finally turning in.

Colden awoke with a scream in the night and it took me a bit to settle him down. Still having a hard time getting him to sleep peacefully in the shelter. I am sure all the strange snoring noises did not help. Finally after the third or fourth time of him waking I took him to water the plants. It was almost dawn. I felt bad for waking everyone up in the shelter but I did not know what to do. Colden woke once more before dawn.

A brilliantly red dawn broke over the pond and convinced Colden he could sleep no more. We all tried to get some more sleep. Finally everyone was up, I went and got some water to heat up last nights hot-cocoa. We ate some oatmeal.

Ben and Kristina went off to hike Breadloaf mountain while Colden and I explored the pond. My intention was to bushwhack around the pond, but this turned out to be futile with a three year old. We made it almost to one end, and went out near the edge on a rock to examine the few hearty dragon flies and try to see a beaver emerge from the large lodge on the far side of the pond. The 20-somethings conversed loudly about us while we tried to take in the calm morning wind.

Soon we were back at the shelter, packed up. We decided to check the view of the Adirondacks one more time before heading out, and were soon eating M+Ms at the ledge overlooking Middleburry. The leaves were definitely turned, what was left of them.

We started to descend the swithbacks. Colden said he did not want to go home, he just wanted to hike. He asked where B+K were and if we could go hike the mountain with them.

Many people passed on the way up as we descended. Colden interviewed every person, introducing himself, and asking their names. He is so outgoing! He was especially interested in people's teeth for some reason, and after a few people asked him how old he was he started asking that as one of his interview questions. It is amazing how he picks up things, and imediately puts them to work. To him, asking how old you are was part of greeting and meeting people, since so many people had asked him.

We continued on, and B+K caught up to us at our planned breakpoint, a nice water crossing with considerable work on some stone stairs. We grabbed some more M+Ms. Ben and Kristina told us about their hike, they were in good spirits despite the lack of sleep. We all hiked slowly down together, Colden singing along and playing choo choo.

Colden was busy looking at the trees and asking about them for about a mile or so. Then he asked about one tree in particular which was riddled with woodpecker holes. I would have never given it a second look, but when I did I found a fantastically large insect in one of the holes, perhaps a King or Queen flying ant! It had brilliant red and yellow stripes. I lifted Colden up to look at it, but it scared him. He definitely wanted to keep his distance.

Soon we were checking out at the trail register and returned to the cars. Colden was just about pooped, having to be conjoled to continue for the last few hundred yards. On my windshield was a pleasant note from the lady we had met at the lodge.

We packed up and headed for Middlebury for some lunch. Colden said "You know Dad, we had fun hiking". It is amazing to me that a three year old can be so appreciative. I really feel that I have such a special kid.

Pictures whenever I get my computer fixed....

-percious