Slow-Poking the 100 Mile Wilderness 8/21-9/2

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kath

Reaction score
Sorry it took so long to get this report to you.. For some reason, my first few attempts would not go through. Maybe too lengthy? (just like the trip!) Seven or eight years ago, in the height of my peakbagging days, The 100 mile trek was a trip I was itchin' to do. But it kept getting put on the back burner. This year, my partner, Old Lurp and I made it a reality. One hundred miles traveled, and at least one hundred lessons learned. I would like to share some of the most important ones with you.
#1. GO RIGHT NOW!!! If you have entertained the idea of walking from Monson to Abol with a Winnebago strapped to your back, I repeat, GO NOW! This hike really takes a toll on an aging body, and the longer you put it off, the harder it will be. Don't wait until your knees are arthritic or you start losing control of your normal bodily functions. We wish we had done it with a few less years on us.
#2. Don't set yourself too strict of a time schedule. Be flexible. The best days we had were the ones where we logged fewer miles and spent extra time swimming in clear pools below a waterfall, or basking like lizards on sun-warmed ledges. This is a trip that should not be rushed.
#3. Plan to take every spur trail and side trip there is along the way. They almost always yield a worthwhile bonus.
#4. Make sure to experience White House Landing. We hunkered down during Tropical Storm Danny in a warm dry bunkhouse, drinking wine and playing Scrabble. Of course, we did walk 5 hours in the rain to get there. We did not feel the least bit guilty as we looked out our window while the wind was blowing sheets of rain across Pemadumcook Lake. Our hosts, Bill and Linda, are real nice folks and made us feel very welcome. It's definitely worth the extra time and money spent.
#5. Our pick for best campsite....It's a toss-up between Antlers and Rainbow Dam. Antlers is spacious, with pine needle covered flat sites. Lots of them. Most sites are right on the shore of Lower Jo-Mary Lake. There is a large central fire ring and the privy is cleaner than most. If you prefer a quieter more intimate camping experience, then Rainbow Dam is for you. It's a short walk off the AT to reach the dam at the edge of Rainbow Lake, where you are greeted with the most striking view of Katahdin. The setting sun casts a beautiful light on its slopes. Pitching your tent on the open grassy area allows the morning sun to hit your tent first thing. A permit is required to have a fire here. There is an open-air toilet adjacent to the site.
#6 Most picturesque lean-to would have to be Cooper Brook Falls. It's nestled at the base of the tumbling falls, which makes for a sweet lullaby.
#7. Most interesting spot - definitely Fourth Mountain Bog. Among the many species of plant life in the bog, the carnivorous pitcher plant is most prolific. They are SO fascinating! The bog is a photogragher's paradise.
#8. It's okay to snuggle close to your tent mate, as long as you both measure at the same level on the Stink-o-Meter. It may be your best option for staying warm on cold and windy nights. We wish we had brought insulated sleep pads and warmer bags.
#9. When your guide book suggests that the trail UNDULATES, be prepared for some butt-busting, thigh-burning, wind-sucking miles. Our book used the word repeatedly. I hate the word.
#10. Finally, bring TWICE as much ibuprofen as you think you need. Then throw in another bottle.
All in all, I did not find any of the terrain nor the water crossings too difficult. It was just much more tiring than I had anticipated. It took us 13 days to complete. Old Lurp is the most patient man on earth. It was a very rewarding experience and I'm glad I did not wait yet another year to go.
Pictures say it all:
http://travel.webshots.com/album/574494799ONglQZ?vhost=travel&start=24