Snow Pack in South and Central ADK

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bachand

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on the snowpack situation in the Central or Southern ADks? I am plnnng a hike this Friday and am trying to decided if I should bring snow shoes or not.

Thanks,
Marc

bachand said:
Does anyone have any information on the snowpack situation in the Central or Southern ADks? I am plnnng a hike this Friday and am trying to decided if I should bring snow shoes or not.

Thanks,
Marc
I spent Sunday and Monday in the Ha-de-ron-dah, hiking through from Brantingham to Thendara. Virtually no snow at all, except under protected north facing overhangs and such. I stepped on snow with probably less than a dozen footsteps in total. Some muddy sections in the usual places, but the trails were mostly dry. The last vestiges of slushy ice were clinging to the shorelines of Big Otter Lake in a couple of spots only. Other lakes were totally free.

Last edited:
Where do you have in mind? I was on a mountain near Indian Lake this weekend and had to turn around at around 2800ft due to thigh deep snow. Went back the next day and used snowshoes from there the rest of the way up the mountain. There was still a few feet of wet soft snow up there while there was none at the start of the hike. I would bring them if going up any peaks over 3000 feet.

I hiked Blue on 4/9/05 and the we hit snow at 2500' (rotting) and it went up to about 14'-18' towards the top (the summit was bare). The trail was packed well and we had no problems barebooting the whole way.

Another hiker I know posted (elsewhere) that he bushwhacked Lewey (south of Snowy, in the Central ADK's) and he found thigh deep rotting snow that required snowshoes to get through.

I guess the bottom line is, there is certainly snow there, and if you planning on hitting a well groomed, common trail, you'd likely be fine without them. If you plan on hitting less common trail or bushwhacking above, say 2800', you better bring em.

Crampons might be nice (we didn't use em though) as there is a good ice up there too. Enjoy

In the 9 minutes it took to write my post. That "other hiker" (Rik) chimed in. Gotta love the range this site has. :D