South Moat Mountain, 2/15/16

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First mile of trail is bare in some spots. Beyond the first mile came the ice flows. All can be walked around and have been by hikers over the past month. A few inches of snow higher up.

Special equipment needed: Microspikes worked well but there were times, especially on the descent, where I was glad I brought my crampons - just in case. This would be a great place for crampon practice.

We came in via Passaconaway Road though Dugway is open right now. About 5 cars in the parking area, which is maintained. USFS signs and flagging for hikers to take an alternate route - through the trees, follow the orange flagging - as there is active "timber harvesting" going on in that area. The amount of ice flows and size of them impressed us. At 1.9 miles we went straight instead of going left of a rather large one and wound up at the height of land. Took a left and descending a bit, we bushwhacked back onto the trail, blazed and cairned. Not much wind at the summit, amazing views, met 4 groups. http://summithikinginnewengland.blogspot.com/2016/02/south-moat-mountain-february-15-2016.html

Last edited: