Southern Presi Loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duane

Reaction score
How does this sound for a late May two day hike: From Crawford Notch, Crawford Path to Ike, then backtrack a bit, over Pierce to Nauman for the night. Day two, south on Webster Cliff to Mt. Jackson and down Webster Jackson Trail to Crawford Notch.

I'd like to get over to Mt. Isolation but campsites with water seem to be a problem according to Mohamed's website. We're going to have only one car so that's a limitation.

Sounds very do-able as a two day hike. Unless you're really invested in camping at Neuman you might consider a dayhike - going up Crawford to Pierce and Ike, then backtracking and heading over to Jackson and back down to Crawford. That's not an unreasonable dayhike. Then, on day two do Isolation as a separate dayhike.

Keep a good eye on the snowpack - in a 'normal year, you could expect snow between 3-4K' in late May (none down lower, and none above treeline). The last two years have hardly been normal, but keep an eye on Trail Considitions so you can tell what's happening.

Last edited:
It's very doable, you might want to get the campsite first if going on a Saturday so you have a spot.

If I was looking to hit Pierce & Ike via teh unusual I would look at coming up from Dry River. Parts of the trip on Dry River Trail would not be a loop but the trip up to Mizpah & Pierce, over to Ike & down the Mt. Eisenhower Trail would not require any backtracking.

I thought of Dry River too but he said "late May" and crossings could be tough then

If you have a full day (instead of two half days which is why you're camping) I'd go for E-P-J as a day hike, it's easier than toting packs up there and that will give you time for something else.