spring trip to katahdin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtlukekultv

Reaction score
okay, a few katahdin questions here. i'm beginning to plan a 3-4 day trip to baxter this spring. i want to go the first or second weekend of may, but none of the camp sites are officially open by then. does that mean i should just show up, and if i get to one i can take it? ideally, i want to stay at chimney pond (who doesn't) but if that won't work i could stay at roaring brook. what should i do because neither will be open officially by then? should i expect a lot of other hikers that early in the season? is it stupid to go in may? will it be hard to take a big group up? between 2 and 6, at least. i'll take whatever advice you've got for me.

luke

There is no camping allowed inside the park between April 1 thru May 15th (and Oct 15-Nov 30th). They do issue day hiker permits during the non-camping seasons, but that is not what you are looking for. You really have no other options other than trying to get reservations after May 15th. If you attempt to bootleg camp and are caught, your likely looking at being fined and blacklisted :eek:

I can understand why you would want to camp in early May. In late May/early June the bugs are like something out of a Stephen King novel... :D

I've been there as late as the end of June when trails were still closed because of snow. Prior to April 1 you'd probably have to make arrangements as for a winter hike.