Tabletop (39) – 8/6

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zer0-G

Reaction score
Day Three:

The morning of Day 3. A 5 am wake up call finds us in the dark and chilled as the 40 degree temperatures at 3500 feet in the shadows of Indian Falls motivates us to get up and get moving. With one more peak to climb and thoughts of a hot shower still hours away we pack our gear and plan on an early arrival at the ADK Loj.

With bellies full once more, 6 15 AM, we hit the trail and arrive at our last herd path for the weekend within minutes.

The climb up to Tabletop feels anticlimatic but significant as it represents the accomplishments of visiting 9 peaks and the realization that the end goal, my final 7 peaks are in sight.

The summit offers a modest viewpoint and a moment of reflection before we begin the final stage of the weekend.

Onwards to Marcy Dam – the sun streams down through the trees as we make our way back to civilization. At 7:45 we see our first hiker – an elderly gentleman with a camera. He seemed as surprised as we were to see anyone else this early in the middle of somewhere feeling like nowhere. As we move onward – sightings of day hikers become slightly more frequent. As we move even closer, we encounter what now appears to be a staggering number of day hikers. We had a good laugh when we realized that we were commenting on how nice they smelled and we could only imagine the remarks they could be saying about how “Nice” we smelled. I’ll tell you one thing, I was having problems with the way I was smelling at this point.

We took a good few minutes at Marcy Dam to take in some nice views, a snack and a breather. The breather part was good especially since there were so many nice smelling people coming and going.

Anyway, back on the dogs, barking to the trailhead, we sign out, 9:20 AM.

We clean up as best we can and bid farewell to our best friends for the weekend. The Adirondack Mountains.

A great three day weekend – I think I’ll go back there soon.

Allen: This Saturday

Cascade / Porter : This Sunday

Colvin, Dial, Blake, NippleTop

I don't know exactly when I'm going to finish. But it will be within 3 or 4 weeks.

I am really looking forward to Allen. A nice long day of solitude. No one to talk to but me.

Unless someone wants to tag along.
Then I can drive them crazy instead of myself...... :p