Taking Advantage of the Calm Before the Storm - Quonnie Pond

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtruman

Reaction score
DSCF0920.JPG

With hurricane Irene heading up the cost we were amazed to get an absolutely perfect day yesterday for paddling Quonnie Pond in Charlestown RI. This is one of our absolute favorite RI paddling spots and in addition to the great paddling it provides access to what may be the nicest stretch of beach in New England. We were amazed to see that almost none of the residents along the shore of the pond and in the area in general seemed to be making any preparation for the hurricane - and this is a very unprotected area right in the path. Hope everyone isn't taking this one too lightly. It's been 20 years since we had a bad one in RI and folks may have forgotten how much damage they can do. Hope it turns out OK for everyone.

Here's the blog post with all the pictures: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/paddling-toward-end-of-summer.html

Where did you launch?

We've been planning to paddle "Quonnie", what a relief to know the nickname for Quonochontaug Pond, in September and launch at Weekapaug near the beach.

Last year we paddled from Barn Island WMA around Stonington's Long Island. Impressed to know that beach was part of Napatree Point and Watch Hill until the hurricane of 1938. There was one survivor from many who were trapped in their "cottages" as that storm caught them by surprise; she clung to debris and washed up on that Long Island. Even on our nice late summer day there was the typical strong SW breeze that makes Newport such a classical place to sail that time of year. Good to stay behind barrier beaches and Quonnie offers that along with an opportunity to swim in a nice but potentially dangerous surf.

BTW, your blog report on Beach Pond brings back memories of my high school days (quite a few years ago) when the draw for us guys was not the beach, not the clear water, not the boating, not the fishing ... it was all the beautiful blondes who lived there!

We launched from the ramp at the end of West Beach Rd. I think this is the best spot to put in at QP. It's right at the breachway and has a nice wide hard packed sand area that you can drive on right down to the water. There's an all-tide concrete ramp into the breachway for larger boats too. Large parking area and porta-potties as well. We've also gone from the Weekapaug Inn a couple of times in the past. Used to be that if you ate breakfast there they would let you park in their lot while you paddled.

Barn Island is a nice paddling spot. We also go from the end of Stonington Village and paddle up to the end of Wequetequock Cove or Quanaduck Cove (gotta love the names in this area) and then stop at Sandy Point (the little sand spit island just off the end of Stonington Village) to swim. This is usually our final paddle of the year in October with a stop at Noah's for lunch (our favorite restaurant in Stonington by a long shot).

Hoping to get down to the Thimble Islands in the next week or so after things calm down from the storm. Will be interesting to see how they weathered it there.

Had to laugh about your memories of Beach Pond. I grew up in Lisbon not far away and spent lots of time in high school hanging out there myself. Later my in-laws had a house on the cove right around the corner from the beach on the state line and we spent LOTS of time on the pond year round. It's actually a great place for snowmobiling in the winter too.

Great pictures in your blog. I haven't paddled Quonnie yet - it looks beautiful. Anytime you can combine paddling and a nice beach...it's a perfect combination. Not to mention you picked an incredibly beautiful to paddle.