Tent platforms & snow depth?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmunro

Reaction score
Hello all of you,
I'm heading out to the WM next weekend for some Backpacking in the Pemi wilderness. I was wondering about a thing or two:
How do you guys secure a non freestanding tent on a tent platform (such as at Garfield). I'm sure I can find a way to do it but if anyone feels like sharing tips I'd be much obliged ;-)
Of course, by then the platforms might still be under the snow anyway, which would make it irrelevant...

Louis

Most tent platforms have large eye hooks on their sides where you can tie off a cord. You can combine them with the edges of the boards (which usually have 1" spaces between them) to get to almost exactly the point where you need your tie-down to be. Just bring plenty of extra cord.

compression straps

I have two long (4 feet?) compression straps that I use to keep my thermarest rolled up. When tenting on a platform these become a good tool for tying off to something (tree, the platform, etc.). Because they can be cinched tight they give you a lot of flexibility.

I have a great view of a tent platform at Ethan Pond campsite that shows the tiedown hooks here

I've tied down my tent by threading a guy line through one of the gaps between the boards and reaching underneath the platform to loop the line around the center of a horizontal peg then back up to tie a taut-line hitch.