The Long Walk as a movie is coming

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John H Swanson

Reaction score
The non-fiction book The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz (not Stephen King) and the similar fiction story knock-off The Last of the Breed by Louis L'amour are two books I really enjoyed. The Long Walk details an Epic escape of a group from a 1939 Siberian POW camp and the subsequent hike to freedom across the Gobi Dessert and the Himilaya Mtns to India.

I recently read that the movie is coming to theaters i December under the tile "The Way Back" I hope the film version does the original story justice. Reading the book was a gripping experience that keeps you turning pages into the night.

Incedently, in googling the subject to get the film name I learned that there is some controversy whether or not the story is true and if Slavomir Rawicz completed the trip of recounted someone else's story. It is clearly easy to sit in shear awe or doubt that such an impressive story is true. Whether or not it is true, it still worthwhile.

#53 on National Geographic's list of Greatest Adventure Books of All Time

53. THE LONG WALK
By Slavomir Rawicz (1956)
The author, a Polish cavalry officer, and six other men escaped from a Siberian prison camp in 1941, walked across Mongolia and the Gobi, through Tibet and the Himalaya, enduring incredible hardship all the way. Four of them made it to India and safety. It is a 3,000-mile (4,830-kilometer) epic, truly grand.
Lyons Press, 1997.

JohnL

I read the book a few years ago and while it was impressive, I was skeptical about sections (I can't remember specifics). I did look up some info online (where we know everything is real, right? :p ) and it solidified some of my doubts. Should make for an interesting movie though.

I think I have a movie version of that book in my Netflix Que: As far as my feet will carry me.

Like most, I suppose I mostly check this website for the trail reports and equipment reports. However, one of the special treats that comes up from time to time are the tidbits that come in threads such as this.

I recently picked up AS FAR AS MY FEET WILL CARRY ME from Netflix. What a great film. It is very well done and very intense. The film is done in German with subtitles but you very quickly forget you're reading. I highly recommend this film and I'm all the more anxious to see THE WAY BACK. I also picked up THE LONG WALK from Amazon. It looks to be quite good.:)

Can't wait for this one! It is one of my favorite reads. Amazing story...hope it converts to film well! :)