The Papers of Daniel Doan Dartmouth Library

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck

Reaction score
While doing some research on and area in the Whites I stumbled onto the Daniel Doan Collection at dartmouth over the net. The collection is divided up into boxes and then folders - Titled by their contents (photos of Mt. .... or notes on hike to ......). The staff at Dartmouth College Library were very nice and helpful. They mailed me copies of some photos and notes I wanted to see. There is a cost for some shipping and color copying or they maybe able to scan and email. If you go through the table of contents - via the link below (scroll down when you get to the site) you will see there are a lot of topics that maybe of interest to you. Just an FYI I had been meaning to post.

http://ead.dartmouth.edu/html/ml82.html

"Another book, Indian Stream Republic, will be issued by the University Press of New England in the summer of 1996."

_has been issued_ , according to a forward by another noted Dartmouth historian Jere Daniell the book was unpublishable when first written because it was more of a popular history, but tastes changed in the publishing industry. I read the first half but time ran out & I had to return it to the library.

My mother used to do a lot of weekday X-skiing with a group that included him, and he introduced her to his publisher.

Too bad it doesn't list a photo of Owls Head :)

but it does have North & South Uncanoonuc :)

Last edited:
"Too bad it doesn't list a photo of Owls Head :)"

Funny when I saw your post about Owls head thats what reminded me of the collection and I also scroll through the entire table of contents to see if there might be something about Owls Head.

I will try and post anything of interest I find next time I request something. I won't scan things in... just summarize (as Jason wrote) or notes. The collection seems to be open to the public but I am not sure if recreating and posting is ok.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, Daniel Doan was not interested in peakbagging. I remember a line from his description of hiking to one of the Twins (might have been a Kinsman, but I think it was the Twins), pointing out that the other peak was further down the trail, but that going there just to come back was peakbagging, and just wrong, and that the other summit was deserving of its own trip.

So all that just to say that I would not be surprised if Owl's Head was not a summit he visited.

You DO Remember Correctly!

Ah, the irony.

It was just that quote I was thinking of when Dr. Wu ran his poll, and every time I see something that really seems to exemplify the extremes of the concept.

Maybe this thread is/isn't the place to discuss this, but I find it interesting, especially given the peak-bagging ethos of the site's culture.

For my two cents, Doan is a giant. Thanks, Chuck, for beginning this thread.

--M.

"Deserving its own trip" = Mountain Bagging vs. just peak to peak.
I'm a pretty rotten peak bagger but if another peak is just down the trail I could not resist going to it instead of saving it for another day.