The Weeks and Terrace Mtn via York Pond and Kilkenny Ridge Trails - 5/27

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
Date of Hike: May 27, 2013

Trail Conditions: I decided I should start posting trail conditions on more of my hikes, not just the bigger peaks. All are deserving, but many have had summer conditions leaving little to write about. Of course we didn't have summer conditions on this hike. The specifics: York Pond Trail was really muddy in most places with standing and running water. Two of the three crossing were challenging but doable (barely) though they were slightly easier upon our return. The trail was otherwise in pretty good shape. The Kilkenny Ridge Trail was also pretty wet and muddy (and snowy higher up, ~2"), brushed in a bit too much in some places, and it offered up a lot of blowdowns, some of which were tricky. This was most prevalent on the ascent of South Weeks. On this section there were places that required careful balance to get over them, great agility to get under them, or sheer determination to bushwhack around them -- but we succeeded. We weren't the only ones. We were behind two hikers, older women, that were an hour or so ahead of us. We saw by the tracks that they made the summit, and we followed them, but on the return we re-found the actual trail and broke it out. The part of the trail leading up Terrace Mtn was in better shape though it wasn't terribly distinct in many sections, but it was fairly dry for the most part. What a fun hike.

Special Equipment Used: We brought microspikes but we never felt the need to use them. I wouldn't even bother bringing them. Trekking poles are a nice option for balance for the crossings, really helpful, almost essential.

Comments: Hiked this one with my very good friend Theresa and we had, as usual, an awesome, epic hike (we do hikes right, she and I). A cool thing happened on this particular hike: Theresa brought along a strap. She said she was hoping to find a moose antler and would use the strap to attach it to her pack. But what are the chances, right? Well, in her case, pretty darn good. During one of our bushwhacks on South Weeks she lets out this squeal of glee. Yep, she found a pristine moose antler, a 14-pointer. How lucky is that?!

Mike "Tramper" Cherim
Nottingham NH

Last edited: