Tom, Field, and Willey 1/12/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkL

Reaction score
Canton, NY. Avatar: Mt. Washington in Winter:
I hit a new low in inability to get a timely start. Left car at 12:46PM! --No water crossings on this hike, IIRC --Took Avalon and A-Z to Willey Ridge Trail Jct. This was pretty solidly tracked. Mt. Tom Spur was well tracked but blown over near the summit. At a level, summity clearing, there didn't seem to be any further tracks, but there was a bit of a "way". I followed that to another level, somewhat clear area. This felt more summity than the previous one. The snowcased trees were different. It was just a bit higher, with a better view of the immediate area, confirming this was the high point. Visibility limited to immediate area.
-- Back at the A-Z & WRT jct, I went straight across and started following tracks at the sign. They stopped within 30 yards. I looked for the way of the trail, but couldn't find it. I even went down the A-Z a bit thinking maybe the junction wasn't exactly a true 4-way intersection. No luck. Checked map. It showed WRT starting out slightly to the left of the ridge top, so I looked for it there. It was only ~3:15PM, so I figured I might be able to whack my way to Field before dark. I set out to do that, and after about 10-15 minutes saw a well tromped furrow to the right. I couldn't think how I could have missed such a distinct trail. Hiking this furrow a bit further on I came to a drifted over stretch, and figured maybe that's what had happened to the trail back at the Mt. Tom Jct. --Trail leaving Field summit to Willey wasn't obvious, but found it on third try. --WRT towards Willey well broken, but drifted over in spots. I came to one place where there was no trace. Checked map, whacked to left of ridge. After ~20 minutes found the well defined trail to the right. More occasional drifted over spots, but they were usually in a fairly obvious way. I was thankful for that, because it was already dark by the time I got within 200' of the summit. Glasses were fogging and I needed clues. Didn't want to turn back and re-do this one. --Got to a high point and continued down, thinking it was a dip before the true summit bump. But a view ahead showed it was going downhill far and fairly steeply. Turned around to re-check the high point and noticed an opening to the right (to the left as I had first approached it) and took it. It went uphill a bit into a tiny opening where a spruce trap nibbled at one shoe. This seemed like it. 5:30PM.
--Returned to Field via correct trail all the way. Smoothed over first step or two of my whack track. --Descended Avalon Tr. Blown over in one or two spots, but way was obvious.