Toto - I don't think we're on South Moat anymore...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitten

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 4/25
Time Start: 8am
Time Finished: 1pm
People Seen: 44
Dogs Seen: 6

Special Equipment: SUNBLOCK, poles

The day started out with extremely dark, cloudy skies. Even though the weather reports said it was going to be sunny - it certainly didn't look like it when we arrived. The trail was completely snow free, and dry. A few patches of mud at the beginning and a few wet ledges (along with a few random snow patches off the trail) were all we found.

As we started our ascent we came to the top of one of the ledges - and were faced with a choice - left or right. The trail appeared to go in both directions - we went right to follow another hiker - and soon realized we shouldn't have followed them. We were definitely on a trail - but not a trail that had been used anytime recently. You got to walk along a ridge a little, and thankfully the trail was still easy to follow. About half way through on this side trail there was a Cairn on a rock - so we knew we were at least still headed in the right direction. Thankfully this side trail let you back to the main trail - but added some additional mileage to our trip.

The ledges and the view were beautiful as always - neither one of us had been up on this mountain since 2005 and I really had no memory of the trail or of the views along the way. The sun had really started to shine, and the sky was a bright blue. The view off into the distance was pretty hazy - another sign it was going to be a very warm day.

As we continued on - on the last stretch - the temperature really started to rise. It was incredibly hot, and the open ledges just reflected even more heat. We made it to the top with a few other individuals and enjoyed the view. The temperature at the top was 70; and it definitely felt it! The trip down was also extremely hot - and I was really wishing I was wearing shorts instead of pants.

The trip down was uneventful and tiring as well - but we had a great hike and despite the fact that it is late April - it felt like mid-July! :D

Wow, what a difference a day makes. We were there the day before (24th) and saw just two people. I had no idea it got so busy up there...but what a beautiful day to be in the mnts!

The Moats are great. I was on a North-South Moat traverse last year and I while we were going down South Moat I was thinking that it might be tricky to stay on the right trail on the way up.