Trailwrights 72

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey J

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't hear much about the Trailwrights on VFTT anymore, but I assume they are still out there. The TW72 list was the first NH list I discovered after pursuing the NH48 for several years. While I never completed the list, I did get to 66 of them, choosing to forgo the half dozen bushwhacks and also not being in a position to do the required trail work. The Trailwrights took me on some interesting hikes that I might not have pursued otherwise so I wanted to give a shout out to them and say thanks for both the list and for their commitment to volunteer trail work.

One hike that doesn't get much ink on VFFT is the Gulf of Slides loop to the summit of Boott Spur. I probably wouldn't have undertaken that one if it wasn't for the TW list. At 5500 feet, Boott Spur is a pretty high spot by New England standards with cool views in all directions. In doing the loop counterclockwise, we went up Boott Spur Trail and down the Glen Boulder Trail. The route also passes over Slide Peak (aka Gulf Peak) another TW peak at 4806, not to mention such impressive features as Harvard Rock and Split Rock on the Boott Spur Trail and the massive Glen Boulder on the (you guessed it) Glen Boulder Trail. This loop, which starts and ends at Pinkham Notch Visitors Center is approximately 7.7 miles with 3600 feet of elevation gain. It starts on the Tuckerman Ravine Trail and includes a spectacular half mile at the top of the Gulf of Slides on the Davis Path and a one-mile stretch at the end on the Diretissima Trail. I did this hike about 15 years ago so this not current info. I am just reminiscing as I now live down in the 3K range.
Glen Boulder.JPGSplit Rock.JPG

Thanks Ken. It's good to know the Trailwrights are still active. Full disclosure, 66 is really just plus 18 on top of the 48. I should also point out that I was not playing by the Trailwrights' rules. By their standards (one peak per hike) I wouldn't even have the 48. I'm just saying that I've been to 66 of the peaks on that list. In doing so I created a new list. It's my list with my rules. If I climbed it, it's on my list. But if it wasn't for the TW, I might not have gone back to get little brother summits like Little Monroe or Adams 5.

Yes, the Trailwrights are still active. Our next outing will be back on the Mt. Pemigewasset Trail on July 29th, continuing work started on the 8th. In addition to those of us afflicted with the passion to improve hiking trails, we usually have a number of folks work with us to acquire trail work hours needed for a list. Ya'll come. Judging from the options at the bottom of this box, it appears the new software facilitates the upload of pics compared to back in the day. GTK for future reference.