Tripyramids via Livermore > north slide > south slide 12/28

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJMorse

Reaction score
The first 2.5 miles of the livermore trail is a groomed x-country ski trail, very easy bare boot hiking (or if you have cross country skis, i suggest them!). The final mile approaching the north slide had about 6-8 inches of light powder which my party packed down. I used my mountaineering snowshoes, but you should be able to bareboot it fine now. microspikes wouldn't be a bad idea.

The north slide is the obvious crux of the journey. A mountaineering axe, crampons, and experience is 100% REQUIRED. Each member of the party should carry a length of rope/webbing/cordelette. This trail is very dangerous. The slide had anywhere from exposed rock, to a thin layer of ice, to a few inches of powder, to a foot of powder, and combinations of those. Much of the rock is loose and chossy. Where there was a layer of ice, it was very thin and brittle - nothing you want to trust with an ice axe or the front spikes of your crampons. Finding the areas of packed snow and using the solid rocks was the name of the game. We spent a lot of time probing and had to step on bare rock with the crampons quite often which is not ideal. Lots of rock climbing moves as well. One member of our party lost his footing and had to self-arrest. Luckily it was in an area where there was enough snow to accomplish this. I had to toss him a cordelette to get him out of the position safely. It was a very fun section, but is not to be taken lightly!

Once at North Tripyramid, the trail to Middle Tri is well packed from all of the parties bagging the Tri's from the Kanc. I barebooted this section, but the rest of my party opted for microspikes. We again had to break trail going from middle to south and down the South Slide trail. You will want some sort of traction going down the South Slide. Once past the steep portion of that trail, conditions were perfect to butt-sled a big chunk of the trail.

Overall a very fun and beautiful day, only recommended for experienced mountaineers. We started the hike at sunrise, and arrived at the car at sunset.

Last edited: