Tripyramids via The Slides, 6/6/2014

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
June 6, 2014: The Tripyramids

Trails: Livermore Trail, Mount Tripyramid Trail (clockwise loop)

Summits: North Tripyramid, Middle Tripyramid, South Tripyramid

Hikers: Mike Zettler and me

I wanted to get some list hiking in on Friday and posted the plan looking for some company. Mike noticed and was interested. We worked out the final details. On Friday morning we met at the Exit 8 Park & Ride to hike The Tripyramids. Mike and I have never previously hiked together but I hope it isn’t our last such venture. Mike is a real pleasure to hike with.

We headed to Livermore Trailhead and arrived a little ahead of plan. BIG surprise - ours was the only vehicle there. We grabbed our things, got a couple trailhead pictures, and started walking. The last time I hiked this loop was ten months ago, 8/3/2013. At that time, Livermore Trail was a terrific mess. The trail suffered serious erosion damage from Tropical Storm Sandy leaving large sections with only a small footpath along one side or the other, and culverts washed out and exposed. This damage appears completely repaired now; new grading, new culverts, and the full-width of Livermore Road is restored. The Forest Service does really good work. We cruised past the south junction with Mount Tripyramid Trail and on to the north junction, made the turn onto Mount Tripyramid Trail, and headed for the North Slide.

After a short walk through woods littered with beautiful spring flowers we arrived to the turn and the approach to the bottom of North Slide. The place looked a little rough with a herd path starting up the east side of the slide for a short distance. The rocks and slabs were all green and slippery, but we expected that; the bottom third of the climb will require a little extra focus. Slowly we made our way through this green section. As we climbed the slide slowly opened up, the rocks became less green, and eventually we were on an open slide with dry, clean rocks; the green was gone. There was plenty of loose footing but that only meant we needed to think a little about our route.

We generally worked our way up the middle or west side of the slide where the footing seemed better. Usually we were climbing side-by-side, not one in front of the other; there was way too much loose stuff to come down onto the one behind. With everything dry it was a very easy climb to the top of the slide. Along the way there were stops for pictures and more of a stop at the top and then we were back into the woods for the final climb to the North Tripyramid summit. There we stopped for a couple summit pictures but with no views and too early for a snack we had no reason to hang around. We took off for Middle Tripyramid.

The walk to Middle Tripyramid is a short one. Along the way after passing the Sabbaday Brook Trail junction we met a solo hiker, the only other hiker we saw all day. Soon we were on final approach to Middle Tripyramid. As we approach the summit area we made a short stop at the viewpoint for pictures over Waterville Valley but the low clouds limited the views. We visited the summit for the usual pictures and were on our way to South Tripyramid. The cloud cover seemed a little higher off to the east and we enjoyed views to Passaconaway and Chocorua.

After we cleared South Tripyramid we were immediately into the steep descent via South Slide. There is a short section of sheltered trail leading to the top of the slide that is very steep and then the slide opens up. A short distance below the top of the slide it was time for refreshment; we found a couple comfortable rocks and took a break. The views were pretty good to Sandwich Mountain, Welch & Dickey mountains, and southeast to Winnipesaukee. After enjoying the place for a while, and with the refreshment done, we were back to the steep descent on South Slide.

The South Slide footing seems a lot looser than on North Slide; I don’t think it’s just a matter of descending versus ascending. We carefully made our way down and before long we were making a hard right off the bottom of the slide and back onto a mild hiking trail. From there it was an easy walk back to the south junction of Mount Tripyramid and Livermore trails with many more spring wildflowers to enjoy along the way. We reached Livermore, made the turn, and settled into the ~2.6 mile road walk to the trailhead. Livermore Trail is in terrific shape, the Forest Service did an outstanding repair, but it’s still a road walk. Roughly a mile from the trailhead we met a herd of mountain bikers taking a lap; they seemed friendly. A while later we were stepping into the trailhead lot with a few more vehicles than when we left, and a pickup truckload of barking dogs just pulling away.

It didn’t take long to get packed for the drive south back to the Exit 8 Park & Ride.

We enjoyed a pretty good day; dry conditions all day, very little mud along the way, and easy crossings. My bonus; I had some really good company for the day. Hopefully it isn’t long before Mike and I get together again for another one.

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:)

Thanks for the great day. The pictures are a great way to remember the day. My thoughts are for King Ravine. Too bad I didn't hook up with you a week earlier. Maybe you have to go there again later in the season. Keep those trip reports coming.
Mike Z

Thanks for the great day. The pictures are a great way to remember the day. My thoughts are for King Ravine. Too bad I didn't hook up with you a week earlier. Maybe you have to go there again later in the season. Keep those trip reports coming.
Mike Z
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the hike and the pictures you have sent since. Good times for sure.

I'm pretty sure I'll be headed back to King Ravine at least once more this summer, maybe twice. I've used that approach for Adams and Madison as well as Jefferson. It's a really fun way in, but I don't think I'd use it as an exit route.

As we also discussed, there are more slides coming up if you're interested.

Stay tuned.

Earl