Twin (Jim) on the Twins/Galehead Along With Some Silly People

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca M

Reaction score
ANOTHER Twins/Galehead Trip Report!!!

4/28/2012

Here’s proof you can’t take yourself too seriously. Hiking isn’t just checking off boxes and marking up maps – there’s the serious business of having a good time!!!

Plan: up North Twin Trail, bushwhack around some river crossings, cross the river, head uphill, hit a couple of twins, bask in the sun at the hut, grab a stupid bump (no offense, Galehead) and get out by dark. Throw in juggling, a bit of dancing, a lot of junk food and you get the idea – a GREAT hike with a bunch of crazies (Jim T, Kwi Hui, Robie, and myself). [NOTE: No offense meant if anyone reading this is ACTUALLY crazy. I mean it as a term of affection rather than a dis!!!]

OK, at the North Twin Trailhead: on your mark, get set, GO! This is a race…. to burn enough calories to eat some MORE chocolate!!!!
P1000922-ready-set-go.jpg

Now, at the only major river crossing, things look, um, interesting. No evidence anyone had been across yet today… we passed a couple hikers who heading back after attempting the lower crossing (better to bypass).

The gentlemen (in our group) discussed options while the girls forged ahead without trepidation, I might add.
P1000928-kwihuiovertheriver.jpg

At one point Jim dropped the H-bomb (no, not an actual hydrogen bomb, of course); but, the H-“swear” as in, “No WAY in HELL am I crossing on that log!!!” We waited while he found a better way. It took a while. He recently had a major milestone of a birthday so we realized we should be patient with him given his new fragility. Here’s a look at THAT discussion:
P1000926-fb-nowayamicrossing.jpg

Later we took a break at the water crossing with all the “rust.” Robie was tempted to use the runners as skis but we persuaded him that was NOT a good idea. We were happy to share in some Korean cookies which made all hands happy!
P1000937-koreancookiesandhands.jpg

Next, the Easter bunnies came out. Robie was going to eat the ears first so it wouldn’t hear what part of it we’d eat next. Later we saw rabbit tracks and figured the mysterious invisible white rabbit was leading us up to the summit. It worked.
P1000943-robieandtherabbit.jpg

From there, a little whining as we made our final approach to North Twin. The views were AMAZING. Only thing was it felt like Christmas. We tried to narrow the Chrismas Carols down to only a couple involving “white” and “Christmas.” We toasted the views with identical sandwiches:
P1000957-matchingsandwiches.jpg

The glamorous picture – we TRIED to match our beiges, blacks, and reds to contrast with the beauty of the outdoors. I am not ashamed to say that I think we did well fashion-wise. Seriously. Or not.
P1000948-fb-onridge.jpg

At this junction Robie demonstrated our mixed feelings: proceed forward or go back for more snacks?
P1000955-whichwaytogorobie.jpg

The girls… I’m the tall one!!!!
P1000954-thegirls.jpg

Sweet reward: basking in the sunlight on the Galehead Hut porch. So relaxing!
P1000965-onporch.jpg

It was pretty warm after freezing our exposed skin on the summits so Jim decided to work on his tan. I must say none of us felt super-tempted to break out the bikinis, but, I think we all had them in our packs.
P1000969-fb-shirtlessjim.jpg

Unfortunately, Kwi Hui decided to take a short break on the descent – the new portion of the reroute of the Gale River Trail and these icicles tried to cage her in. You know it’s a long break when that happens. But, being the three clever hikers we are, it didn’t take more than the mention of dinner at Plymouth’s Lucky Dog to summon up enough energy to free her.
P1000981-kwihuiinicejail.jpg

continued

BUT, if you REALLY want to see what REALLY happened. Here’s some dancing and juggling for your viewing pleasure: