Two night Baldface trip

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whans

Reaction score
I'd like to bring my family on a two night trip over the Baldfaces. We'll have my 7- and 9- year olds, so I think three days total would be a good pace for this. The shelter is an obvious spot to spend one night, but I'd really like to know whether there are any good places to camp along the trail to the north of the Baldfaces, maybe somewhere near the top of the Bicknell Ridge trail. I know there is a shelter a ways further north past the top of Mt. Meader, but that is definitely too far. I'd like to keep the pace very reasonable for my younger child.

So I'm basically picturing a clockwise Baldface loop, and looking for a spot to spend the second night. Any thoughts?

Also, how crowded is the shelter likely to be over Columbus Day weekend?

Thanks for any ideas.

Whit

Be aware that there are few sources of water on the Baldfaces. Although most shelters in the Whites are built near a water source the shelter on South Baldface has no reliable water nearby.
The Baldface loop is a great scenic hike, just be prepared to carry whatever water you may need.
I wouldn't expect shelter availability to be a problem in the fall but I have seen it full even in the winter. There are tentsites next to the shelter so you should have no problem finding a space.

If it were me, I would check out the area West of the Baldface Knob and Slippery Brook trails. Primo tenting sites with water not far away (100 yds North). You can avoid the horror show of climbing above the shelter with big packs by going up Slippery brook to the Knob junction, camp, then walk to top of South Baldface and finish the loop down Bicknell or the circle trail.

Thanks-- I had been thinking that the south ledges with packs would be a challenge...so I think you are talking about right here .

But what I really want to know is, What about the second night? I don't want to go back down the Bicknell or north half of the baldface circle trail before spending a second night. What I would really like to know is whether there's a good camp spot somewhere around here , which I think would be a good area to plan on a second night. The next day we could choose whether to continue on to Mt. Meader or go down the north baldface circle trail.

This is the pace that my 7 year old would most appreciate...

Thanks

Whit

There is good camping at the Slippery Brook/Baldface knob junction, with water a bit down the S.B. trail towards mtn pond, if it's not too dry. As for the second night, I would suggest heading down to the west of the Baldface trail beyond N. Baldface in order to have some water; campsites should be available. I don't have my maps, so this is from memory. I expect Baldface shelter has water right now, in a "spring" about 20 yards uphill from the shelter.

Last edited:
Greg thanks for the reply.

I'm thinking the best spot for the second night will be right around the Eagle link trail junction...It's good to know that we should be able to find something somewhere in the area.

Anyway, these VFTT tips have been very helpful.

Whit

Baldface - Water situation

I am thinking of going Friday night camping near baldface and then down to the Basin the next day or vice versa.

Three questions

Where should I stay near bladface mountaiins to ensure water?

What is the best campsite to go near the wildriver campground? - I want to do a little fly fishing but would like a campsite away from people, if possible.

What is the easiest route up or down the baldfaces to the trailhead?