Unsuccesful attempt at Carrigain pond and the Captain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAR-EMT40

Reaction score
For those of you that had read this under the trips and events forum I apologize. I shouldn't try posting at 3AM.

First trip report I have ever done. This was a trip I was planning on for a very long time. I was going to test some gear and I waited for the weather to be as cooperative as it could be. Everything came together for this weekend. I left on Wednesday night and planned to start into the woods for Thursday morning. My plan was to camp at a spot as close to the Captain as possible and do the bushwhack with minimal equipment with a possible overnight heading to the pond and then trying to hit the peak of the Captain and then back to the camp.

What worked:
The weather, absolutely spectacular. The kind of weather I live for. Maybe a little warmer during the day than I prefer but still fantastic. Clear night, cool and very windy, great for sleeping. Black flies were out but for the most part the high winds kept them mostly at bay the first day. The second day a little Deet was enough to keep them at bay. The fifty-eight pound pack (weighed) was heavy for me but the training I did seemed to prevent any rolled ankles but more training would be needed to actually attempt this full hike by me.

Problems:
When I woke up Wednesday morning I had a sore throat. Nothing terrible but I could notice it starting. My wife had something earlier that caused her difficulty breathing, chills and fever. I decided that this was a game that couldn't be postponed because of a cold so I needed to go. If I had problems I could always bail. By Thursday night it felt as though I had been gargling with razor blades. To make it worse was the feeling that my throat was closing. Friday morning the feeling hadn't improved so I decided to bail. I could always try another attempt another time. So here I type, my throat still very sore, sucking on a lozenge but at least that swollen closing throat feeling isn't as bad.

Interesting happenstance:
So, here I am. Hiked for around 3 hours, partly on a forest road and then off trail. Through some areas where the trail actually doesn’t exist through several blow-downs and I get to "my" spot that I had planned as my area to set up my camp. It’s Thursday. There is no way that I need to be "worried" about being run across by any other person. No one around for miles. I am not in camp more than 30 minutes when this young guy pops into my camp, but he isn't staying. He is traveling fast and light. We talk for a couple of minutes and I find out he is doing virtually the same hike as I am but he is taking the fast and light option. We talk a little more and discover that we are both on VFTT. I'll let him tell you who it was and not mention his name in case he wants to remain anonymous. I am very eager to read his trip report if he writes one.

Reasons to be thankful:
While it was shorter and much less adventure than I had planned I was thankful for the things I had seen. The snakes, a couple of hopeful frogs in a small shrinking puddle, the Painted Trillium's and being close to the Captain with better views than my lousy photography show.

Things of common interest:
One of the gadgets I have been interesting in trying is SPOT. I read about the original SPOT but then some of the reviews I had read were less than flattering. I had decided to wait until the release of the second rev. It is smaller, lighter and more reliable. Upon release it immediately had power issues and had a recall. I waited until the recall was over and purchased one making sure the serial number was above the recall problems. I had done some minor testing of the unit around home. It seemed fairly reliable but the canopies are not as thick at home as they are in the Whites. So I sent several OK messages that made it through. Then I tried a track on the way out which should beacon a location every 10 minutes. Most of those got thorough but those were all sent while on the forest road so that wasn’t real thick canopy either.

Regards,
Keith

DSCI0278.jpg

DSCI0279.jpg

DSCI0280.jpg

DSCI0281.jpg

DSCI0282.jpg

DSCI0291.jpg

carrigaintrip.jpg

That first pic of the Capt. and your tent is truly a quintessential hiking photo. You got the mtns in the background, your tent...everything fits in. I love it!

Great report too! I tell ya, if I had a sore throat, I'd be laying in bed, cursing the heavens.c:rolleyes:

grouseking

That first pic of the Capt. and your tent is truly a quintessential hiking photo...

Keith,

grouseking stole my answer :). I love photos of campsites in the foreground with the "target" in the background. As soon as I saw your first photo, I said to myself, "I would've taken that same shot." Nice trip.

Edit to add: Amen to your signature.

Crowds on the Captain

Keith,

Sorry you didn't get to finish your trip. I noticed that your truck was gone on Friday afternnon and I thought that was strange given that you had planned for 4 days.

It was great to meet you and chat. I saw your Spot Device and I'm glad you commented on it. I'm still waiting to hear how it works under the dense growth of a bushwhack, where it would really be useful (Someone would eventually find me if I'm lying scross the Crawford Path:().

You and I were both surprised to see another hiker. First it was Thursday and second it was an uncommon trip. When I saw your tracks I figured it was somebody out for the afternoon and would be doing a hike up the logging road and back via Sawyer River Trail. I usually never see a soul on these backwoods jaunts.

So here is my brief Report: I made the trip as planned. Got to the pond well before dark and was able to circle the pond and set up camp. Great night at the pond and then a morning whack up the Captain. A shout goes out to Van who was the last person to sign the canister notebook in Feb and who is my VFTT sponsor....Good to see you still moving around in the spruce after finishing your NEHH. I managed to find the canister, the fake summit rock and the real summit rocks. The hike down the river on the West was nice and I donned boots and sloshed down the middle for most of it. Lost my water filter on the whack (so much for a cheap hobby). Overall I rate the difficulty of the bushwhack at 7 out of 10 for lack of steepness and lots of open woods.

I have tons of pictures, which I never seem to get uploaded to a sharing site until well after the trip.

Keith,

Sorry you didn't get to finish your trip. I noticed that your truck was gone on Friday afternnon and I thought that was strange given that you had planned for 4 days.

It was great to meet you and chat. I saw your Spot Device and I'm glad you commented on it. I'm still waiting to hear how it works under the dense growth of a bushwhack, where it would really be useful (Someone would eventually find me if I'm lying scross the Crawford Path:().

You and I were both surprised to see another hiker. First it was Thursday and second it was an uncommon trip. When I saw your tracks I figured it was somebody out for the afternoon and would be doing a hike up the logging road and back via Sawyer River Trail. I usually never see a soul on these backwoods jaunts.

So here is my brief Report: I made the trip as planned. Got to the pond well before dark and was able to circle the pond and set up camp. Great night at the pond and then a morning whack up the Captain. A shout goes out to Van who was the last person to sign the canister notebook in Feb and who is my VFTT sponsor....Good to see you still moving around in the spruce after finishing your NEHH. I managed to find the canister, the fake summit rock and the real summit rocks. The hike down the river on the West was nice and I donned boots and sloshed down the middle for most of it. Lost my water filter on the whack (so much for a cheap hobby). Overall I rate the difficulty of the bushwhack at 7 out of 10 for lack of steepness and lots of open woods.

I have tons of pictures, which I never seem to get uploaded to a sharing site until well after the trip.

Glad you wrote Bob. I'm am really happy your trip turned out so well. I wasn't sure the first night how far you would have made it. A 7 out of a 10 huh? I'll have to discuss the route you took offline if you don't mind. And you say "lack of steepness"? The route you took you didn't think was that steep? How tough was it pushing through the spruce? You must have made good time and while I wanted to talk a little more I didn't want to tie you up too long. You looked like you were moving pretty fast. I was thinking about you that night up there. The winds were very strong down in the valley but I suspect much less where you were?

I am pretty sure I am going to attempt this again. I will keep an eye out for your water filter :D.

It was a pleasure meeting you.

As a footnote. Based upon the way the SPOT2 works, especially if you were sending a SOS message. I would say that the odds would be very, very good that its signal would get through for anything except the heaviest of canopies. Certainly it is something to consider, and the only other option is to buy or rent an actual PLB but those don't tell anyone that everything is going fine, or that you need to be picked up at a prearranged place and send these messages up to ten email and/or SMS text or both.

Regards,
Keith