UWJ, Armstrong, Gothics, Saddleback?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckrueger

Reaction score
I was planning a trip next weekend 7/29 to do this loop from JBL in a clockwise direction and leaving Saddleback as option depending on time and how we felt. One source I read reccommended doing it in a counter-clockwise direction. Is there any big drawbacks going clockwise??

You'll be leaving yourself a fairly steep (and open) descent from Gothics by doing the loop clockwise, but I can't think of too many other negatives. Clockwise is actually the way I would do it, to get increasingly braoder and better views along the way and to ascend the steeps of UWJ and Armstrong. And then, of course, you're leaving your options open for Saddleback, a more interesting mountain than LWJ in my opinion.

However you do it, enjoy!

One note, the descent down the Orebed Brook Trail is brutal after a long day. Several years ago my group did LWJ, UWJ, Armstrong and Gothics from JBL, and the descent was mind-numbing. I do agree with Gandalf, though, that the views get better and better as you travel down the range with Gothics having arguably the best view in the ADKs. (I have not done Saddleback yet.) Be sure to have plenty of water once you leave the col between LWJ and LWJ, I don't recall there being any water sources until the Orebed trail.

As a view junkie & from how we did it, I also would go clockwise to leave Gothics last. (the next day we went up Ore-bed & did Saddleback, Basin & Haystack)

While Ore-bed was harder to descend I did not remember it being brutal, only that after rain it seemed the trail hwas more like Ore-bed Brook then Ore-bed brook trail.

I would avoid doing this loop clockwise if it is raining. I descended Gothics two weeks ago in the rain and it was not fun to say the least. One of the guys in the group slipped, fell, and slid about 30 feet near the top of the top slab (above the cabled section) on Gothics. If it’s dry its not too bad.

Several weeks ago I did this hike in the clockwise direction. While going down the Ore-bed took care, it wasn't terribly difficult and things were even a little wet. There are several missing planks on the ladders, but that just kept things interesting! :D And if you're already there, do Saddleback. It's a fairly easy climb, even at the end of a long day and the view back to Gothics is wonderful!

I agree with Mike P. and TMax. Clockwise is MUCH more aesthetic, and a little easier. Saddleback is VERY easy from Orebed col, and does have a great view. Oredbed is not such a bad run down. Trail runners stick better than boots. Most sections of orebed the rock is good enough that a modern shoe will stick even when it's wet.