Wapack Questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Furry

Reaction score
A few questions re: the Wapack Trail.....

1. During this time of year and further into the winter, does hunter orange need to be worn while hiking? I've heard that hunters frequent some of the areas along the trail. When does the hunting season end for MA/NH?

2. In general, are crampons/stabilicers needed to negotiate the trail or are snowshoe crampons/bareboots all the traction you need on most winter days? I know this obviously depends on specific weather conditions before and during the hike, but in general what is the terrain like?

3. Is it pronounced "way-pack" or "wah-pack?"

Thanks!

1) Orange would be a good idea during the season. On Nov 11, Dr Wu and I were greeted at the state line with rifle shots. The hunters were pretty close by. I don't know the dates, but I am fairly sure that regular deer season is over in NH.

2) Snowshoes should do it most places. I can think of a couple steep, rocky stretches on N Pack, but you could easily bushwhack around them. The woods there are quite open.

In general, it is a pretty civilized trail.

3) I've have always heard 'Wah-pack', as in 'to-mah-to'.

http://www.wapack.org

Last edited:
Part of the Wapack trail goes through Windblown x/c ski center and they require snowshoes or skis on all their trails. I think they even make you buy a trail pass.

NH firearm hunting ended on 12-4, but I think bow season goes to 12-15.

1. Good idea to wear orange just in case.

2. There are places on North Pack that consistently get very icy during the winter and spring. The ice is solid enough and thick enough that I bring 10 point crampons. I'm guessing, as Barbarossa said, that you could get around them, but since I bring the crampons I haven't tried. I'm familiar with winter travel to on Pack and Watatic - typically snowshoes are adequate for those.

3. Ayuh, "Wah-pack", accent on first syllable.

Are you planning a day hike of the trail?

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your input...... :)

Dugan,

No imminent plans for a dayhike, but I would like to try to get there sometime this winter. Probably not the whole length of the trail.....I would likely go from Watatic to 124 with a car spot, or from Watatic to Pratt or New Ipswich Mts. (or even Barrett if feeling good) as a there-and-back hike.

If it's a car spot you're looking for, keep me in mind. As long as you don't mind canine company as well!

Not to hijack the thread, but I've been thinking of picking up the whole trail as a day hike in winter, anyone interested?

I'd be interested in a section of the trail, but the whole 21.6 miles would tax my gimpy left knee past it's breaking point. Furry, I live 5 miles from the trail at the S. Pack-Temple Mtn point. If you need snow conditions, let me know.

Got my first snowshoe outing in yesterday, I love winter!

Dugan said:
If it's a car spot you're looking for, keep me in mind. As long as you don't mind canine company as well!
Canine company is good to me!!

And thanks, Quietman, I may take you up on your snow conditions report offer before I head up there.....whenever that may be.

Not to hijack the thread, but I've been thinking of picking up the whole trail as a day hike in winter, anyone interested?[/QUOTE]

I did it a couple of years ago on the solstice, and the year after hiked from Watatic to Wachusett. Both trips were good fun. The snow was minimal though, so the pace was pretty quick. I can assure you that the snow is not minimal right now
:) :) :) :)

January 7 or 14 for Wapack??....bring your headlamps! Dugan, Tramper Al and I did a 20+ mile outing on the M-M with about 4 hours in the dark (with headlamps)...the reflection from the snow makes it rather easy....

Who's up for posting this on 'Trips & Events'?
...Jade