West Royce and Hayes as our 53WAV quest continues

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffalo

Reaction score
Our 52WAV quest continued last weekend with a two'fer, West Royce and Hayes.

Some things worth mentioning... on West Royce, we got lucky and stumbled upon the remains of the old fire tower. I did not realize there was one. The White Mountain Guide makes no mention of it at or near the summit in its description of the Basin Rim Trail.

On Hayes, we took the Mahoosuc section up rather than the more common Centennial Trail. The trail is a fine one, and well maintained. Hogan Road however that leads to the trailhead is nearly unpassable with anything but high clearance. I have a Forrester and we barely made it. Two culvert washouts are deep and filled with rotting tree branches. I can't imagine them making it to spring. So be forewarned.

Also we saw the biggest wolf spider (Pretty sure it's a wolf spider) I had ever encountered in the Whites. Pic below. Two great hikes. Here are the vignettes and pics.

West Royce Vignette
West Royce pics

Hayes Vignette
Hayes pics

Don't mess with our little friend!

0_0_2d4ae90bc642733d255b97e1c2430e31_1

Our 52WAV quest continued last weekend with a two'fer, West Royce and Hayes.

Some things worth mentioning... on West Royce, we got lucky and stumbled upon the remains of the old fire tower. I did not realize there was one. The White Mountain Guide makes no mention of it at or near the summit in its description of the Basin Rim Trail.

On Hayes, we took the Mahoosuc section up rather than the more common Centennial Trail. The trail is a fine one, and well maintained. Hogan Road however that leads to the trailhead is nearly unpassable with anything but high clearance. I have a Forrester and we barely made it. Two culvert washouts are deep and filled with rotting tree branches. I can't imagine them making it to spring. So be forewarned.

Also we saw the biggest wolf spider (Pretty sure it's a wolf spider) I had ever encountered in the Whites. Pic below. Two great hikes. Here are the vignettes and pics.

West Royce Vignette
West Royce pics

Hayes Vignette
Hayes pics

Don't mess with our little friend!

0_0_2d4ae90bc642733d255b97e1c2430e31_1

Bleh to the spider! haha

Nice pics on a part of the whites I have yet to visit. Hopefully someday.

Hi Grouse,
Yeah we've been kicking around Gorham/Shelburne/Evans Notch the past couple weeks and it's just beautiful out there. Plus, we've had the trails nearly to ourselves. Weather permitting, we're going to take a shot at the Balfaces this weekend.
Dan