Willowemoc & Sand Pond Mt. (Catskills) - 07/21/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob S

Reaction score
07/21/2012

I've only hiked in this area once before, climbing Millbrook and Woodpecker Ridge with friends several years ago. This was my first time walking solo in this area, and it was very enjoyable. Saw plenty of wildlife, and only one other couple. No other cars in the parking area.

Trails are in good shape, although a bit overgrown with fern in a few spots, and are dry despite rain the night before. I really enjoyed the solitude of this hike. At times, the woods were so quiet, you could hear a pin drop. Other times, birdsong filled the air, and I was startled more than once by grouse.

Finding both summits was easy and straightforward; they are only a couple of minutes off-trail.

I don't recall ever hiking before and not picking up at least one piece of trash. Other than the trail, no signs of humans, save a small, 3-stone cairn on the summit of Sand Pond.

The Venture Out Maps show a viewpoint shortly before reaching the height-of-land on Sand Pond Mt. I found the spot, but the leaf-cover hides most of the views. It must be a great spot in the winter, though!

A bit over 7 miles round trip, this would make a real nice snowshoeing trip.

Rob

Photos -HERE-