Yakin' in the Daks?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMTHike

Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm taking a long planned family vacation to Lake Placid the first week of September. I plan to do some hiking (got my trails picked) and some kayaking. I'm a flat water kayaker with a Loon Classic from Old Town. I'll be staying right on the lake so obviously I'll drop my yak into Lake Placid. What other lakes, ponds would anybody suggest in the Lake Placid area? I don't mind driving a little ways to try out a few different quite spots. Also how much motor traffic can expect to see on Lake Placid at that time of year? The lake is big enough so I imagine I could avoid it. I've got some good info on kayaking and canoeing in the Daks from their chamber of commerce but as always I like to hear from all of you. Thanks.

lots

asking where to go kayaking in the Lake Placid-Saranac Lake area is like asking what restaurant to eat at in NYC. Many many many possibilities. my personal favorites, avoiding heavy motorboat activity is actually just west of Saranac Lake in the St. Regis-Fish Creek area. Follensby Clear Pond, Little Clear Pond, Green Pond, Fish Creek itself, the Raquette River, Middle Pond, Floodwood Pond, etc.

Probably 45 minutes from Lake Placid. Closer to Lake Placid and in the middle of town-Mirror Lake, the Chub River (with a carry).

Heart Lake (for a parking fee) at ADk Lodge could be very pleasant.

A very pretty canoe/kayak trip is a loop through Upper and Lower St. Regis Lake and Spitfire Lake. There is a short carry needed to make this a true loop trip or you could just backtrack. The put in is at Paul Smiths College. The trip is described in detail in Paul Jamieson's book "Adirondack Canoe Waters: North Flow".

There is minimal power boat traffic, beautiful camps and boathouses to look at, loons, and, if you are lucky, someone might be out sailing their Idem (a classic wooden sailboat, found only on the St. Regis lakes.

The Jamieson book is definitely worth getting if you want to canoe or kayak in this area. It is beautifully written with some historical detail and hand drawn maps.

Pat T

Yakin

In Lake Placid on Averyville County Road is the Chubb River (class 1), you can paddle this up stream and over a beaver dam for several miles (very remote and beautiful)