Zealand, Guyot, the Bond's, Hale, Galehead, Tecumseh: 8-6-07 to 8-8-07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dom15931

Reaction score
Zealand, Guyot, West Bond, Bond, Bondcliff: Monday 08-06-2007 #'s 54-57
I had been waiting for a long time to get these mountains. Originally I had planned on getting them in 2005 when I was living in VT but it never materialized. My friend Chad was to accompany me, but he ended up getting a job in South Carolina last minute. Having already taken the week off work I figured what the heck, Ill go do the trip. I was supposed to leave Saturday morning, but because of some heavy drinking and bar hopping Friday night with my girlfriend...well...enough said

Heading up to NH I knew there was the potential for bad weather and that I wanted to get these done as a day hike, albeit a 20 mile one. I planned on skipping out on Hale for todays loop, as it was just as easy to get it, if not easier from it's trail head after a rest. Galehead I would consider, but figured the weather would be too miserable and it may be too much too fast for my body. (did not do it that day) My physical condition was fairly good, I do GPS surveying, so I get a fair bit of exercise in rough terrain on the job.

I arrived late Sunday night and slept at the Zealand trail head in my car, and it was surprisingly comfortable. Slept five or six hours and set off about 6:45. The day started out beautifully, with sunny skies and pleasant temps. Ha, how fast things can change! By the time I reached the Zealand hut clouds were rolling in and the winds were picking up. Looking out over the distant mountains you could tell rain was coming and not just a brief shower. At this point I realized I had forgotten my rain gear! Oh well I figured as I get soaked all day all the time at work anyway.

I was surprised at my pace. I was doing about 2mph acceding with no 'real' training or hiking prior to this trip since February. Also I had the weather forecast in the back of my mind wanting to avoid being on Bondcliff when the thunderstorms rolled in. The last decent view would occur as I ascended to the Zealand ridge line and looked out over the Zeacliff. The Vose Spur looks so cool from here. I could see Mt Washington as well. It was an easy ridgewalk to the summit of Zealand, which is slightly off the trail and just of bump on a ridge and a name on a list. The rain really started kicking in here and I braced myself for misery. The winds were also gusty, probably in the 35-45 mph range.

Arriving at Guyot I was surprised at what a nice summit it was as, correct me if I am wrong, for not being on any of the major lists. It is alpine in nature and would offer good views on a nice day. The views were limited but not totally socked in. The worst winds of the day occurred here. It was in all sense a 'driving rain' with a temp est. of high 50's. The conditions (possible lightning) made me a bit nervous about Bondcliff because it is much more exposed.

I decided to take out West Bond first as it would be out of the way and there would be no way I could 'skip out' on it on the return. I summited it at 10:25. There were at times views of Bondcliff through the clouds. There is a lot of slide climbing potential in this area I noticed. I was disappointed again that the views were limited.

Bond's summit is nice, but low quality view. The rain had let up though and the winds died down considerably. Took me a second to realize the the trail to Bondcliff is a hard 90 to the right of the summit and not straight ahead. Luckily the rocks are arranged to point to this situation. I was glad that there was less exposure that I had expected now realizing about half of the 1.2 mile trek over to bondcliff would be without the protection of trees. This section provided the biggest elevation change of the range dropping considerably downward. It was a strange feeling to ''decend' to the timberline.

Bondcliff...What an awesome mountain. Like a little Katahdin right in the middle of the Whites. It's topography would by my guess as to it's lack of trees. The cliffs are amazing and the drop offs reminded me much of being on the 'The Owl' on the west of Katahdin in Maine. The cliffs were blocky in nature and sheer drop offs at some points. Man I was disappointed at the lack of views big time here. West bonds slides were viable from time to time and the valley below. I had not seen anyone else since descenders in between Guyot and Zealand! I hung out for a bit here and at lunch and took some pics.

I left the summit at, I believe approx 12:30. The thought of walking back 10 miles over three summits wore on my mind a bit. By the time I stated to reascend Bond the rain started again. Got back over Guyot with no problem, then the thunderstorms hit. I was sure glad to be done with exposed areas. The rain was torrential at times and the lightning frequent, but it seemed to be mostly of the cloud-to-cloud nature. The storms would last till descending the from the ridge line towards the hut. My left foot began hurting at this time and I would later realized it had a warped sole! This slowed me down considerably.

The Zealand Falls were much nicer than previously from all the rain! (see pics) Walking back to the trail head the sun actually peaked out from time to time. I arrive at my car, with a very sore foot arch, at appox 6:30.

In summary the trails I traveled were very rocky in nature. There are, however, are really no tricky spots that require carefully navigation along the way, so the rocks are the only real challenge to deal with. There have got to be a few good slide climbs in the area, I know the Hellgate Ravine has been done before. On a nice day I sure this is amongst the best in the Whites.

Tecumseh: Tuesday 08-07-2007 #58

With my sore foot I decided to do something easy the next day. Good ole' Techumsy seemed just right. Little did I know this was a rocky one too. I took my time taking most of the day to do it to avoid injury an allow my foot to improve. I started at the ski lodge. The trail is very straightforward and there really is much to say about it. After a few twists and turns there is a long straightaway where most of the elevation is gained. Near the summit some ski trails intersect.

The summit actually had a decent view, more than I had expected. I met three folks from Rhode Island here at the summit and we chatted for about half an hour. The were extra kind and shared some of there grub with me despite the fact that I had plenty. Extra friendly and a pleasure to talk with. This was my 58th 4k'er and it felt great.

Heading down I opted out onto a ski trail for half of the decent. It just made since with my soar foot and now aching right knee. All in all a little bit nicer of a summit than expected. Didn't keep track of the time on this one as taking it slow was key.

Hale and Galehead: Wednesday 08-08-2007 (from separate trail heads) #'s 59,60

Hale:

I was feeling better today. The heel was not really hurting anymore but my right knee was sore, but not significantly swollen, from relying on it too much when the left foot was sore! Ha. Most of the rain was through when I started. There was one other hiker climbing Hale from southern NH that I met at the trailhead and again at the summit. This again was an uphill walk in the woods, no mountain climbing feeling at all. It was less rocky for the first half which was a relief. After crossing a small brook about 60 percent or so of the way up the trail begins to switchback a bit, becomes steeper and rockier. Nothing tricky tho.

The summit was disappointing in a way, more of what I would have expected on Tecumseh, but hey the fog was socked in so there would have been no views anyway, so this was a good day for this mountain. It was flat and open, but surrounded by trees. There was evidence of some past tower or observation deck of sorts at the summit. The decent was easy and uneventful.

Galehead:

I decided that for a final hike I would take out Galehead as it 'clean up' this region for me and give me 37 of the 48 Whites and 60 overall in the NE. It was a good choice. Started around 2:15pm. Half of this is a dirt easy, barely uphill walk in the woods with a low level of rocks. There are several stream fording areas, but the water was not too bad considering all the rain we had had. There were several other hikers going up to the hut. The weather had improved somewhat, but it was still overcast, but the rain was done other than a few sprinkles. At 3.1 miles the trail steepens and becomes rocky. I was making decent time on this one, but still taking it easy as time was on my side and I didn't want to end a with a case of tendonidis like in 2003 :( . I reached the hut at about 4:30 and hung out and rested there for a bit and ate my lunch. Started for the summit at 5:10. It was easier than I had expected. There is one small steep slab that was wet from the rain, but other than that it was hands free. There is a nice outlook over the twins, hut, and southern whites before the summit. The clouds were breaking and I took a few pics. The summit itself is marked with a cairn and there is no view.

I went down the same as I came up. I took it easy though as the knee was hurting a bit. There were some nice views of some outcroppings on the Twins on the way down. Needed to use the lamplight for about 15 minutes at the end. Made it to the car at 9:00. My decent was much slower than the accent. This ended this summer's trip to the Whites for me. Next time I come back I plan on finishing the 48.

pics:

Bonds: http://community.webshots.com/album/560237755iUoNYB
Tecumsey: http://community.webshots.com/album/560241569NJerRq
Hale/Galehead: http://community.webshots.com/album/560238555vLDPkZ

***all hiking albums*** webshots member: dom15931

-Dom

actual mileage

Can anybody tell what the actual round trip mileage for hiking Zealand and the Bonds is (No Mt Hale). There seemed to be some discrepancies between the map and the trail signs, particularly in the area of the Zealand Falls Hut.

Thanks,

Dom