14 miles to Owl's Head......

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mats Roing

Reaction score
Team Members:

Giggy
ferrisjrf (Jason)
Juniper
Leaf
Darl58
Adventurous (Kim)
Jeff (Giggy's friend)
7Summits
Mats

The goal was to do Owl's Head via Lincoln Slide We debated and changed our plans a few times before we finally decided on starting at Lincoln Woods and head up Franconia Ridge to the top of Lincoln Slide and then down to Lincoln Brook Trail and up Owl's Head via the slide and then back to LW the normal route.

Most of us had some team-building excercises the evening before at Lafayette Campground.

We actually started out with seven of us and then picked up a couple of more hikers en route. Seven started and 9 finished......that's a 129% success ratio :D

Planned to start at 6:30am and we started at 6:33am.......that's pretty good for having me in the line-up ;) Jeff and 7summits were absent at LW but we found them up on Franconia Ridge later. After de-layering at the Osseo/LW trail intersection Leaf started out at her blistering pace and we were at the 2,450' ele mark by the sharp right turn dripping profusely 7 minutes later or so ;) I took over the pacer role and the pace went below mach 2 by a wide margin. Trail crew had done some great work here since the winter.....we didn't need to pull out the chain saws too many times ;)

Took a break on top of the stairs...the sun was making attempts to dry out the dew in the vegetation......the humidity and very little wind slowed down that process considerably. Atop of Flume we digested the view together with some other snacks including the light green ends of the pine trees which are high in c-vitamins.....kind of strong bitter taste but adds variety to the regular hiking diet. After 20 minutes or so on the summit Jeff shows up! He started from LW almost an hour after us :eek: We figured he kicked some rear-end heading up Osseo Trail in 2hrs16 min.....he does a bit of everything including running and climbing....in good shape he is (yoda voice). This was Adventurous 11th 4,000-footer in the Whites! She is not exactly a beginner in the woods since she has all the 46 ADK peaks on her resume already.

The eight of us now descended and ascended back up to Liberty......Juniper took charge of the lead and we were soon taking pix on that summit as well......Kim's 12th peak now :) At this clip she'll be done with the 48 by tomorrow afternoon! Little Haystack still looked far away so we moved on and soon ran into about a dozen women celebrating summer solstice and had a balloon shaped like a sun danging above their heads.......and there was a b-day lady among them as well! A little later DaveBear shows up and he said that 7summits was on top of Little Haystack.....we keep moving uphill and by the rocks before the ridge levels out towards Little Haystack the sun hits us pretty good and it feels mighty tropical.......it cools off real quick once we hit Little Haystack and a couple of dozen hikers hanging out there.......we take another long break and a few more of us gets intrigued by eating pine trees although the taste doesn't impress anyone. Kim who was thinking of bailing here decides to stay and 7summits decides to continue with us as well although she just did lafayette and Lincoln.....maybe because we haven't cracked the keg in my backpack yet :D

According to the traffic along the ridge I wouldn't be surprised if Lincoln and Lafayette had 500 or so summits today......after Lincoln we ran into a nice lady who presented herself as an Alpine Steward. She asked us if we had any questions and warned us that it might be thunderstorms later today. Forgot her name but she was very nice and brownie points to her for doing what she was doing. She asked us if we had any question about the plants up her and Darlene replied that we had tasted most of them already :D

We were able to find the shortest route through the krumholz to get to the top of the slide. We were minimizing erosion by stepping on rocks before we hit the 25 foot krumholz patch. Then the 1,000 vertical feet started......slow steady pace and noone started any rockfalls which registered on the Richter scale......once we hit water we filled up our bottles and bladders and followed the creek until the last "sandpit". I recognized the flat area where I camped last year. At this point we took a left up into the woods.....at 3,850 feet appr. The first part out of the creek is mighty thick but soon it widens slightly.......slow going......moving a little further in before we start our slow downhill adventure through the virgin woods......sometimes thick with blowdowns....sometimes easier.......at some pint 7summits says "This is just wrong".......there is no risk that we would move too fast here.........every 1/10 of a mile seems to take forever......first we cross a smaller creek which we hoped was the big one from a diostance but then we continue down....crossing a swampy area and finally we hit the last downhill and the trail is there.....we hit the trail maybe 1/4 mile north of the creek crossing.....made the creek crossing easier at least..........not sure how excited people were about the last 1.5 hrs in the woods.....no one suggested to go back and do it again ;) Down the trail we went and the only significant issue was some air pollution which affected everyone but me........at one point the trail seemed to disappear but we found it 30 feet later....not the most traveled trail in the Whites.

Jeff was ahead of us and we didn't see him at the base of Owl's Head......we figured he either went back to LW or started up Owl's Head. Sun was strong on the slide...it was 3:30pm when we started up....hoped to see MEB there but she left Owl's Head earlier in the day. Probably encountered a dozen hikers coming down the slide.......the Owl hadn't been lonesome today. Slowly the conversations ebbed out to a complete silence as we headed up.......the number of blowdowns seemed to approach infinity higher up.......a good saw and some abled bodies could do some good here but it would also take away some of the charm of climbing Owl's Head :) It finally flattened out and we followed the meandering top section until we hit the summit.

For Giggy, Jeff, Kim (13th WM48!), Jason and Juniper it was the first time on Owl's Head! We celebrated by opening the keg. Just as we did that Jeff shows up! All nine of us are gathered! Wicked awesome! We don't drink much here since we want to be safe going down the slide.....once beolow the slide it's not that hard to finish it between the nine of us......the flat long march back to LW starts....filling up some more water at the next creek crossing......and on it goes...sometimes jogging sometimes walking......there was some singing going on as well....2hrs42min after coming down the slide we stand at LW parking lot.....it's 8:50pm.....pizza time!!! After picking up the pizzas and scaring away the other customers with our smell we headed back to Lafayette campground and joined the other dudes and dudettes already there.....

And we do have some pix:
http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/SummerSolsticeHike

That was a wicked awesome hike with great dudes and dudettes! Thanks everyone for driving from far and away and we did have some fun :)

I couldn't have written this report any better myself. Your description is pretty much what I remember of the day. A few things I'd like to add:

- In our 1.5 hours in the woods, we encountered numerous swamps along the way. I don't know if anyone made it out of there without stepping in a place that is less than desirable.

- The trail from Owl's Head back to LW was either boot sucking mud (much like the Adirondacks) - I think Juniper can attest to that or it was extremely dry.

- There was one difficult stream crossing where several folks didn't make it across successfully. Come to think of it - I think most of us ended up with wet feet. :eek:

This was an epic adventure that I won't forget anytime soon. I had a great time hiking with everyone and would join another group trip in a second. Thanks for convincing me to go for the bakers dozen.

Last edited:
Wow - did all of that really happen? For some reason I can only remember the horrid bushwhack :eek: Nice writeup, Mats. Super fun day with a great group.

Anyone know anything about the blue blazes we found in the woods between the slide and the trail? There's a picture of one in the slideshow - horizontal marking painted blue.

I'll post some more pictures later this evening.

Rebecca

Hey now - I didn't fall in I don't think

Fun day - the bw was fine - mats and jason did a great job navigating that - I was more than happy to sit back and follow. Wasn't that thick really.

The amc steward cracked me up - get off the ridge - thunderstorms are moving in she says - well I can see into vt and its high level clouds - I think we are ok for an hour. Of course none ever did move in - jeeeezum where do they find these people??

Another great event up north hikin an grillin and pahhhtying with the gang!!

Thx for tossing it together mats!!

Never hiked the head before - walked by it a few times - pretty cool way to do it - nice workout!!

Last edited:
Mats Roing said:
After de-layering at the Osseo/LW trail intersection Leaf started out at her blistering pace and we were at the 2,450' ele mark by the sharp right turn dripping profusely 7 minutes later or so ;) I took over the pacer role and the pace went below mach 2 by a wide margin.
Hahaha! Hey, noone had any trouble keeping up. ;) Good strong hiking group. :D

Couple of highlights:
-Beautiful green mosses and ferns along the Osseo Trail, which was in -very- good shape, red carpet treatment. Which was good since we'd encounter enough obstacles off-trail.
-Clouds clearing up just in time for our Flume and Liberty summits.
-Jason's first of Liberty and Flume as well as Adventurous'!
-Adventurous being a trooper and hiking the entire loop despite feeling really sick during the first half of the day, I was impressed!
-Giggy growing a few more grey hairs during the bushwhack. ;) Also, great to finally hike with him after so many plans to hike had fallen through previously.
-Eating plants. :p

Great hike with great company. I can't believe how fast we got out from Owl's head. We were moving so fast all I saw was a blur of leaves! :D

Last edited:
Excellent day on the ridge and terrific to meet up with you folks! Sorry I was on a limited time scheduled otherwise I would have enjoyed joining you for another trip out to Owlie! ;) Awesome pics as usual Darlene and fun TR Mats!

I saw this group at the end of the Presie Traverse and at the end of this hike. They looked the worse for wear at the end of this one.

I met up with the Alpine Steward later in the day when I was waiting patiently for the group to arrive coming up the Lincoln Slide (I got an outdated game plan apparently). She mentioned that she saw a group headed down around 11:30 and was worried about them. I assured her that everything would be fine. :)

Thanks Mats, great report and great pictures Darlene, awesome weekend!!

Congratulations to all who needed the OH for their list, it indeed is a very hard-earned summit.

Mats Roing said:
......sometimes thick with blowdowns....sometimes easier.......at some pint 7summits says "This is just wrong".......

I always utter "This is so wrong" when I'm in despair. I recalled saying that when we're about to cross a swamp with no place to step on :( . The bushwhack was tough and felt like eternity to me. I was beginning to wonder if we're still in New Hampshire? (I'm a mega whiner when it comes to bushwhacking.)

It was great hiking with all of you, and yet another awesome weekend hanging out with friends. Will upload my pictures later.

true summit???

but did you go to the "new true summit"???

The "new true summit"???

drewski said:
but did you go to the "new true summit"???

Not sure if this is the summit you're talking about????

owlshead.jpg

http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/OwlSHeadSummit/photo#5215124501392820578

Last edited by a moderator:
Mats quote:"significant issue was some air pollution which affected everyone but me"

I did a little research and couldn't find any paper mills in the area, so I'm thinking it might have something to do with that "green stuff" you were drinking and it wasn't in a keg............. :rolleyes:
"note to self"--never hike too close behind Mats!

It was such a fun hike with a group of strong hikers. The varied footing made it stay interesting all day. The bushwack wasn't bad, especially since we never came out to the "Jurastic Park" fencing... we were worried for a while as we went deeper into the unknown swamp...Which dinosaur would you rather be eaten by??? Good conversations!

It was nice to have everyone stay in for the long haul and finish togther as a strong pack!! Yes, my feet are sore..but so worth it!

Thanks for putting this one together and of course for hauling that keg!

Last edited:
The Bird

Darl58 said:
Not sure if this is the summit you're talking about????

http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/OwlSHeadSummit

I saw " the bird ", the last, ( and only time ) I was on Owl's Head. 7-30-95
There was a grouse perched on the summit tree. There was also a barred owl checking us out where we were camped at the base of the slide.

Not sure if i've been to the new, and improved summit.
Does that mean I have to do them all over again?

Sounds like a fun day! sorry I missed it. :(

Last edited:
Nobody mentioned the humpbeast sighting friday night at the laff campground.

I personally did not hear it, but was informed early sat morning about midnight the beast was groaning at a site near ours.

I don't think we were ever able to get a sighting the next day to determine the hot factor of the beast.

How the heck did we forget to mention this. Jason, Courtney, Darlene, and myself heard the beast - not sure about anyone else. It was so loud, it sounded like it was on our site. We couldn't help bursting out in laughter...this didn't seem to destract the beast though. Unfortunately no sightings on Saturday or Sunday. Guess we'll never know.