Airline Trail Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erugs

Reaction score
We hiked Adams last Sunday, up via Airline and down Valley Way. On the way up Airline, we noticed a white sticker with a #1 on a birch tree, with black paint sprayed around the sticker (to make it show up ?). I'm thinking perhaps it was to indicate where some trail work would be done? It was at the area where the trail steepens and gets rocky. Anyone know?

Last edited:
Could also be left over from an orienteering exercise, although those markers are not usually on trails. In the ADKs, about 25 years ago, we came across a large, ornate letter "P" on a tree sign well off trail, that I'm pretty sure was a leftover orienteering marker. We still joke about finding a letter P as a sign that you are in the middle of nowhere.

Could also be left over from an orienteering exercise, although those markers are not usually on trails. In the ADKs, about 25 years ago, we came across a large, ornate letter "P" on a tree sign well off trail, that I'm pretty sure was a leftover orienteering marker. We still joke about finding a letter P as a sign that you are in the middle of nowhere.

That's funny about the letter P. It reminds me of one time my hiking friends and I stopped into a bakery and asked the grumpy woman behind the counter a question (can't remember what question, but that's not important now) and her response was an emphatic Noooooo. That's now how we say the word "no" when that is the appropriate answer.

The sticker we saw seemed easy enough to pull off, but the black paint around it was a surprise. There was another sticker on the other side of the same tree.

The "P" was here:

lat=44.178387640350294 long=-73.98884296417236

We were returing from Street and Nye, and the brook had risen to the point where we had to bushwhack considerably upstream to cross, and then bushwhack over to the Indian Pass trail. We ran across the "P" about halfway between the brook and the trail.

Stuff like that is funny, isn't it? There are a few things like that that we still hang onto after 25 or 30 years, and I wonder if the folks who originally said them can feel it when we use the phrase; if the hair stands up on their necks...

:)

The "P" was here:

lat=44.178387640350294 long=-73.98884296417236

We were returing from Street and Nye, and the brook had risen to the point where we had to bushwhack considerably upstream to cross, and then bushwhack over to the Indian Pass trail. We ran across the "P" about halfway between the brook and the trail.

Stuff like that is funny, isn't it? There are a few things like that that we still hang onto after 25 or 30 years, and I wonder if the folks who originally said them can feel it when we use the phrase; if the hair stands up on their necks...

:)

Wow - I've wondered about that. I often quote my dad's mother who was known for saying funny things and wonder if she somehow knows. For example, she used to say, "I'd have given them a dirty look but they were already wearing one." Or, if you asked how she was she might say, "Not so good I mightent' be better, not so bad I mightent' be worse." Or, if she asked you a question about something, "Not needing to know, just wondering."

TCD A long time ago I took a map and compass course offered by the ADK which was held at the Loj. Part of the class was to use your skills and find letters in the woods so the P you found was probably placed there for such exercises.

I hiked Waumbek with some friends last Saturday and we decided to bag East Waumbek while we were up on the ridge. Just beyond the main summit on the Kilkenny Ridge trail was the number 64 stuck to a trail blaze. The 6 and 4 were stickers like the number 1 you found. I didn't take a picture of the number.

Now I'm curious to know where numbers 2 through 63 are located.

I hiked Waumbek with some friends last Saturday and we decided to bag East Waumbek while we were up on the ridge. Just beyond the main summit on the Kilkenny Ridge trail was the number 64 stuck to a trail blaze. The 6 and 4 were stickers like the number 1 you found. I didn't take a picture of the number.

Now I'm curious to know where numbers 2 through 63 are located.

Interesting. Where and why are my questions. They weren't appealing to see.

They weren't appealing to see.

...and they shouldn't be there. Trail work would be marked with temporary flagging at the most, and more likely by GPS, and certainly not with spray paint. It looks more like an (unauthorized) orienteering marker.