Announcement: Winter Gathering 7.5: 1/13-16, Barnes Field, New Hampshire

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whats the scoop on this ski friday? where can i find info about it. im not an expert skiier

More weather:

at 9:25 AM on Thursday, The Observatory said it was 37.4 at the summit of Washington, which is 84 degrees warmer than it was on this day last year.

Possible rain and fog expected Thurs and Fri morning, with temps around 40 in the valley -- possilbly a thunderstorm Thurs night.

By Saturday, high pressure moves in, and it will turn partly cloudy, in the high twenties.

Sounds like a thaw and a freeze. Bring those crampons!!

Mt. Washington hike clothing question?

For this Saturday's Washington hike, it looks like its going to be cold. ( Not that I was expecting it to be warm :) However, this will be my first winter hike above treeline, and I have a question about what I plan on wearing for my lower half. While hiking, I plan on wearing a midweight polartec powerdry baselayer longjohn bottom ( I don't own a heavyweight or expedition one, not that I would wear it while hiking anyway ) and my EMS goretex summit pants over them. They have full side zips. I'm asssuming that this should be sufficient to hike in as I can vent with the side zips and it looks as if it will be a really cold and windy day as we ascend the mountain.

I'm just curious what others plan on wearing for their bottoms on this day, or would wear if they were doing this hike? Also when on breaks and at the top of the mountain, is it common to put on an insulating layer for you bottoms ( i.e. fleece pants with side zips ), or will the shell and base layer be enough. I know it would be normal to throw on an extra insulating layer or two for your upper body, but really haven't heard or read anywhere about a bottom layer, except at camp or a hike destination where a lot of time will be spent.

I know everyones different but I would just like to get some ideas or what a more experienced person would do. Thanks, TJH

wear your long underwear bottoms, fleece layer over that, then your wind pants. if you get on the way up, unzip the wind pants. even better if you can unzip your fleece too. when you are above treeline in winter, and its going to be cold(or not even that cold) you want 3 layers. if you have to stop you will need the warmth for sure.

Thanks,

The expedition weight polartec base layer bottoms that were suppose to be on backorder until February just happened to come in the mail today. I'll break em in on Saturday....TJH