Announcement: Winter Gathering 7.5: 1/13-16, Barnes Field, New Hampshire

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rumors to the contrary, I am still alive, still hiking (leaving in an hour, actually), and will be at the Gathering!

Sherpa - I'll have my heater with me and have extra propane so sure, I can share it with the warming tent (clothes drying tent? :) )

Hmm ... now I have to catch up on who's doing what trips where... I definitely want the Wildcat xc ski trip to Jackson, I haven't even thought about the rest.

coldfeet: Hiking up the Imp Face on Saturday or Sunday would be a good, moderate/easy hike of under 5 miles RT. On our Carter's hike on Saturday I will likely head up from the North trailhead (contrary to what I had said in another thread) to take in the view. While I've been up there more times than I can remember, I realized that others had not, and the view is stunning! Anyone leaving after us will have a broken out trail to the Imp Face summit. In any event - don't sweat it. There are more than a few of us who like to spend a long time getting anywhere on the trails!

peakbagger: thank you so much for your local info. I know the area well, so I have tended to take it for granted. Much appreciated!

MichaelJ: thanks for the heater usage, though I hope it is needed a lot less tahn last year :)

Another local moderate hike is Mt Hayes via the Mahoosuc trail from the trestle in Gorham to the top of Mt Hayes. It has a great view south and east and fairly good cover for the majority of the hike. There is also a nice short side trip to Mascot pond and the abandoned mine that is currently a major bat hibernation site (to the batcave Robin!). I would rate this one better than Imp Face, as it tends to be less icy.

Two caveats on this trip, as I have mentioned in previous posts there is a relo around the hydro dam that adds 8 tenths (not a bad walk, along an abandoned railroad track and a logging road). Secondly, I do not recomend extending the hike by taking the Centennial Trail down to Shelburne. Although it has lots of good views, there are a couple of long shady sections on steep sideslopes that get a lot of snow drifting. Not that its real bad, but it definitely is more challenging than the approach from Gorham.

Sherp, Jess and I will be staying at Applebrook (in Jefferson Notch) that weekend due to some previously arranged plans. So we'll be "commuting" to the gathering but I hope to be there quite a bit. I'm going to be in town Fri-Mon. Hopefully I can do all the hikes.

Sherpa....

Do we have any plans for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday night meals? I am looking for suggestions for restaurants, pizza parlors, brew houses or hole-in-the-walls to get a good meal on those nights. I will bring enough food for those nights to cook at the campsites, but it sure would be nice to share an evening out.

Who will be there and where do we want to go? Let’s get a list started.

ADK4487 said:
Sherpa....

Do we have any plans for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday night meals? I am looking for suggestions for restaurants, pizza parlors, brew houses or hole-in-the-walls to get a good meal on those nights. I will bring enough food for those nights to cook at the campsites, but it sure would be nice to share an evening out.

Who will be there and where do we want to go? Let’s get a list started.

Peakbagger posted a great list of local resources to the area, including eateries, stores, etc. It's on the previous page to this, message #188. I'm looking for dinner on Thursday and Friday, as well as intown breakfasts on those days and probably Saturday as well.

Mark

For any of you sickos out there like me, who love snow almost as much as life itself...accuweather has predicted a storm from the 15-16. Im sorry, but if there is a foot or more of the white stuff, you will have to catch me at wildcat. :D

*edit-its still 2 weeks away, so all you pansies who dont like snow dont have to be scared yet. i never get my hopes up, its too far away to tell for sure.

Ed, There are quite a few local favorites in the Gorham area. I've spent way too many nights at Mr Pizza, which serves more Pub Fare than pizza. North Conway is also an option, but is a lot further away. One great spot is the Northland Dairy Bar in Berlin (about 12 miles away). his place has some of the best family fare available anywhere (Note: I am not sure if they serve beer - they did not before the fire). I will certainly head out for dinner on at least one of the nights. I'll start another thread, with peakbagger's notes as the basis.

The Shannon Door...

For really good Irish eats there is a great little pub not to far from Barnes Field called The Shannon Door. They often have music too. I'm sure most know of it, but for those who don't it's just north to the entrance to Jackson Village.

I recommend the guinness beef stew of course with some guinness as a beverage and for dessert the wonderful apple pie!

Food questions

Can anyone offer advise about food to bring..All i ever had with the scouts was dehydrated packet food and add boiling water..Do i use a little barbque with charcol or white gas large coleman stove?..thx..

coldfeet said:
Can anyone offer advise about food to bring..All i ever had with the scouts was dehydrated packet food and add boiling water..Do i use a little barbque with charcol or white gas large coleman stove?..thx..
If you have the coleman, bring it along. They always come in handy for warming liquids.

shizzmac is bringing along 2 grills, and plans to cook a ton of burgers and dogs. Not gourmet, but darn good, and easy to eat. I also hope to be able to get up to my cabin in Maine before the Gathering to get my turker fryer. Makes a good large burner for heating up large pans of chili, stew, etc.

We also plan to head out to Mr Pizza (a Pub) or some other establishment, for one of the evening meals, likely on the coldest night ;)

Remember: in winter, you are living in a Fridge, so nothing spoils!

SherpaK,
I just got clearance from the wife and just this morning managed to finagle Friday off from work - and I mean Finagle!!!!
I am really looking forward to this - My first VFFT gathering meeting real members in person!!!! (Though I met Snowshoe earlier this year when he helped me with a car shuttle on one of my ADK backpack trips).
I also don't know too much about the Whites, having spent most of my time in the 'Daks or the AT in other states.

I can bring:
Coleman double burner propane stove and 3-4 bottles of propane for extra heating surfaces.

Firewood, I can throw a few armloads of hardwood in the back of the truck.

Beer Still have a case of Coors Light left over from New Years

As for Barnes Field, I am planning to arrive after dark Thursday evening - Is this basically group camping in an open field or are there regular tenting spots? Do I need to pay someone Thursday night or just find an open spot or open site and set up my tent?
Plans - I am a slow up hiker, but fast flat/downhill hiker - I was thinking of dong Waumbeck on Friday and then XC Skiing on Saturday/Sunday.
Although I am pretty much an intermediate XC Skier, I have been off skiis for the past 4 years while living in PA and just got some plastic T-4's for Christmas so I am up for some adventure in this new area. :) :) :)

Cheers
Rick

Last edited:
Rick: I'll add Waumbek to the list, and will put you down as contact :) It will be good to meet you in person - I'm sure you'll have a blast, and never want for hiking partners again. Barnes Field is a loop of large group sites. We'll be easy to spot, and many of us will be there on Thursday (some even coming up on Wednesday). I'm guessing that Barnes Field is self pay (I'll be checking that out today), with a receipt on the windshield. We will be securing 2 sites (to start).

Wood is always appreciated. Hardwood appreciated even more :D

Hardwood for the fire is appreciated! We're in pretty good shape, but a few more pieces is always helpful. If you have it, and have the space in your car, a few pieces is much appreciated. Softwood is not great - best to leave it home (sparks burn too many holes in clothes). No need to buy it - other will have some!

And it finally SNOWED!!!

SherpaKroto said:
Softwood is not great - best to leave it home (sparks burn too many holes in clothes). No need to buy it - other will have some!

Sherpa - I told you I was going to fill 1/2 of my truck bed with wood and bring it up. It is pine (big logs and fairly well seasoned). Do you still want me to bring it?

- darren

Nice picture

Hey Darren, nice picture of you on those skis...I like how you just posted my muddy back side from our Kayak trip...I remember having to ride in the back of your open truck after falling in that mud as no one wanted me in their clean car...nice friends I have..

SherpaK and all, I'm really looking forward to my first VFTT gathering...hope it doesn't rain, you never know...work might get busy. :D