Another Rescue - Mt Madison

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a hiker had suffered serious injuries after falling from the summit of Mt. Madison.

Authorities said xxx, 64, fell eight-tenths of a mile while hiking on the Osgood Trail near the junction of Daniel Webster Scout Trail. xxx suffered non-life-threatening injuries to his arm and minor head lacerations,
He fell 8/10 mile, huh? That's quite a cliff!

Maybe a miscommunication as to "serious" unless he needed sedation.

" ... fell eight-tenths of a mile while hiking .... suffered non-life-threatening injuries to his arm and minor head lacerations, ..." : That's it?

"A National Guard Blackhawk helicopter was called in ..." ???

Something just doesn't sound right with this story ... "incomplete", I'd say.

I have given up on attempting to guess what happened in accidents by reading media reports. Hopefully fish and game issues a proper analysis of the event and the hiker recovers.

Best wishes for his recovery.

The helo came in Monday afternoon a short time after 3:30 by way of Pinkham, circled around the west side of Madison, reappeared 10+ minutes later on the Pinkham side, headed up towards Gorham and then back down the Notch. 40 minutes ( if that) from first sight to done and gone.

Hats off to the helo crew, it was a speedy mission!

Breeze

I have given up on attempting to guess what happened in accidents by reading media reports. Hopefully fish and game issues a proper analysis of the event and the hiker recovers.
Yes...

Judging by the description of the victim's injuries, he should have been able to walk out with at most a bit of assistance...

1+1=3

Doug

I noticed in the comments below the article the following:

John did not fall for an eighth of a mile down the mountain. He fell at a point that was an eighth of a mile below the summit. He called out for help, and Larry and two EMTs on the trail responded with field treatment. He had a dislocated shoulder, which the EMT partially repositioned on the spot. John was imaged and treated at the hospital and discharged at 11 PM. He flew home from Manchester on Wednesday. He thanks everyone.

The original write up made no sense to me either, I didn't think it was physically possible to fall that far in that area.

John did not fall for an eighth of a mile down the mountain. He fell at a point that was an eighth of a mile below the summit. .

*That* makes more sense.

Thanks for clarifying.

Does seem to be more injuries up in that neck of the Presis this year, maybe everyone is going to see the new Super Hut?:p

Glad you are OK

If Bill remembers correctly that part of the trail is fairly big rock hopping...glad John is home safely.

Not me

Hope my previous post wasn't unclear. I am not the John in the story. I just happen to notice a comment that clarified what happened to this other guy. But I am glad he is ok too!

I noticed in the comments below the article the following:

John did not fall for an eighth of a mile down the mountain. He fell at a point that was an eighth of a mile below the summit. He called out for help, and Larry and two EMTs on the trail responded with field treatment. He had a dislocated shoulder, which the EMT partially repositioned on the spot. John was imaged and treated at the hospital and discharged at 11 PM. He flew home from Manchester on Wednesday. He thanks everyone.

The original write up made no sense to me either, I didn't think it was physically possible to fall that far in that area.

An 8/10 of a mile fall from that spot, would have landed John somewhere at the bottom of a deep hole in the Moose River. That's a vertical distance of about 4200 feet...

Glad he's okay and we can joke about the "omission" in the article. :)

I'll bet he has a very sore shoulder though...